Monday, July 9, 2007

One More Snip of the Apron Strings

Today was a momentous day for Josiah--his first day of class at a local community college, taking a course in British Literature!


Oh, did I mention it was a course in British Children's Literature (classics like Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit, etc.)? And did I mention Josiah is still only 5 and not, in fact, 17? :)


This community college has a fantastic summer program for kids of all ages, with a wide range of topics covered. When I first looked through the booklet for it, I easily found about a half dozen classes that I thought Josiah would enjoy; but we narrowed it down to this one.


It really was a momentous day today, but I think it was probably more significant in my mind than Josiah's. It was the first time that I've left him somewhere for a class...taken him to class, said goodbye, and then...just left! We've done lots of activities together: storytime at the library, soccer games, tennis lessons, music class, etc. And Josiah has been babysat by various people since the early days of his life, and he has also gone to children's ministry classes in various settings. But somehow, today was different from all of that.


Remember the glee I wrote about back in June because I didn't have to send my boy off to school? And remember my absence of tears then? Well, today, I didn't actually shed any tears; but there were some in my heart as I drove away from the college campus. I'm just so proud of that boy! Just so in awe of who he is and how's he developing. So amazed that he came out of my body! How can it be???


Josiah did great, by the way, in his class and was not emotional at all when we said goodbye. This morning when he first woke up, I was in the living room reading my Bible on the couch; and Josiah came over to snuggle a bit as soon as he came downstairs. I asked him how he was feeling, and he said he was a little bit scared. But we talked through that, and I reassured him that it is natural to feel nervous when doing something for the first time. On the way to his class, we prayed in the car; and consequently, it all went very smoothly. Thanks, God; what a blessing!


Jeff wanted to come along to pick up Josiah, so David and I went by the barbershop and got Jeff, then went down to get Josiah. Then to celebrate, we went out for a pizza buffet lunch--delicious!

No comments: