Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Live in Peace


I read an article recently that was very inspiring to me...but before I discuss that further, let me explain the above pictures. Much earlier in the fall, Josiah received this little pumpkin in his Sunday school class. On one side was written "Remember..." and on the other was "Thank God..." When I asked him what he wanted to remember and thank God for, he asked me how long ago the last war was that had been fought here in this place; and when I told him that the Civil War ended 142 years ago, he replied that what he was thankful for and what he wanted to write on his pumpkin was, "No war for 142 years." I was surprised at his answer, since I figured he would probably say something like "My daddy and mommy" or "My tricycle." :) I'm learning that if I stop and pay attention, I can learn a lot from my children!

And now about the article... In the Fall/Winter 2007 issue of OurFaith Digest, there is an article entitled "Stories of Nonresistance." I found the stories in it very compelling; and no matter how a person approaches the whole political arena as far as the military and pacifism, there is a huge impact made when people show true Biblical nonresistance, forgiveness, and peace-making. In recent times, how many people from diverse backgrounds have been challenged and inspired by the example of the Amish community in Pennsylvania who reached out to the family of the man who killed their daughters??? Pacifism and war will be debated forever, but to see an example...wow, it definitely speaks louder than words.

Here are some of the stories from the article that stood out to me:

~ Matthew 5:9 - "Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the children of God."

In the 1700's before persecution was completely quiet in Switzerland, a number of unprincipled young fellows went at nighttime to an old Mennonite minister's home in the Emmenthal, Canton Bern. To test his sincerity as a defender of the principle of nonresistance, they began to tear off the thatch from the roof of his house. The minister, awakened from his slumber by the commotion on the roof, arose and beheld the work of destruction underway. Silently praying, he returned to the house and addressed his wife, "Mother, you had better arise and prepare a meal."

After a little while, the aged minister went out to them. "You have worked long, and no doubt are hungry," he said, "now come in and eat." Very slowly and with hesitation, they came down from the roof and went into the house. Finally, upon another invitation, they sat down at the table. Then the old patriarch bared his head and folded his hands. He prayed so fervently, so lovingly, and so earnestly, both for them and for himself that their hearts were softened and their consciences awakened.

They arose and went again to the roof, not to finish their work of destruction, but to reconstruct the roof as best as they could.

*******

~ Matthew 5:38-41 - "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away they coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain."

When, in 1759, the French army under Count deStainville had defeated the Prussians led by von Buelow, they encamped near the cloister Schaken, in Waldeck. Their commander sent his aide-de-camp, named Stadler, with a detachment of soldiers in search of forage for the horses. They met a Mennonite farmer whom they ordered to show them a field of barley, which they could use as pasture for their horses. "For what reason," he asked, "must I go foraging with you?"

"There is a good reason," was the reply, "namely, that we shall compel you!" The officer brandished his sword before the man's face, saying: "Does this make it any clearer?"

"I am not afraid of your weapon," said the farmer quietly, "but come with me, for God has said: 'If any man will...take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also'."

He walked ahead of them through a grove and along various roundabout ways for a considerable distance. When he stopped, Stadler said to him: "It seems to me we have passed a number of fields of barley; why have you not led us to them?"

"Because they were the property of others," he replied, "but here is a field that belongs to me--let your horses go into it and eat their fill."

*******

~ I Peter 3:9 - "Not rendering evil for evil..."

In the early 1800's, there was a man living in the Grantsville, Maryland, area named Benedict Miller. There was a period of time when the corn started to disappear out of his corn crib. His corn crib was situated in the springhouse loft with a ladder leading up to it. Benedict was a very innovative and inventive man, so he fixed up a "trap" in the corn crib.

One morning as the family sat down for breakfast, they heard a shout from the corn crib. They looked out and saw a figure of a man stuck up there in the loft. Benedict went out and asked, "Are you caught?" The man said, "Yes, and I can't get out! Please get me out at once!" Benedict said, "I can only let you out on one condition and that is if you will come down and join us for breakfast." The man said, "I'm not hungry! I can't stay! Please let me out!" Benedict said, "Well, that's the only condition on which I can let you out!"

The man finally agreed and slowly followed Benedict back in for breakfast. They discussed many things, but there was not one word about the lost corn. After breakfast, the man went on his way and the corn was not bothered again.

*******

~ Romans 12:17-19 - "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

On July 18, 1957, Paul Coblentz, a young Amish farmer was shot to death in Holmes County, Ohio. At 10:00 P.M. the dog barked like someone was approaching, and Paul went to the door to see. There on the outside, he saw two men standing--one with a rifle pointed right at him. They pushed the screen door open and came in to the room. After taking what money they could find, they started to physically abuse the young family. After the child was struck several times, Paul jumped up from the floor where they were forced to lie, and ran out the door to get help from his father, who was living near-by in the big farmhouse. The man with the rifle took aim and a news report said: "The bullet tore through the screen door and into Paul Coblentz's back. He fell on the walk, a few feet from his home. The man with the gun then stood over the prostrate form and shot the farmer in the head. The intruders fled into the darkness."

After an extensive search, the men were caught 400 miles away in Illinois. They were brought back to Ohio and the killer was sentenced to die in the electric chair.

In the meantime the dead man's family and other members of the church were deeply stirred by this tragedy. Their response was not hatred, but love. During the trial many Amish families invited the murderer's parents into their homes. When the teenager was finally sentenced to death, the Amish people signed petitions and wrote so many letters to the governor that the execution was stopped just seven hours before it was time for the young man to die. Some of the ministers from the community later visited the young man in prison. And through it all, he became a Christian.

*******

This last story is undoubtedly the one that impacts me the most, especially because of our involvement with the Old Order Mennonite community here during the robbery last year which, but for the grace of God, could have gone differently and ended with someone's death.

When all the politics and arguing and "words, words, words" about these issues are gone, stories of Christ-like mercy and forgiveness and love are what stand--and they are what convict me to hold to a high, earthly-logic-defying standard when it comes to peace.

5 comments:

Christin said...

I, too, am so inspired by the Amish culture in a lot of aspects. Especially since I get to see it up-close and personal. BOTH sides of Jet's extended family were/are amish. His second cousins were actually involved in that schoolhouse shooting. The stories of the bravery of the children are amazing.

One thing about peacemaking...it's NOT a good when you are peacemaking to cover the truth. THAT never brings about healing. The Truth sets people free...and to hide it brings bondage. Even if in the name of bringing peace.
I could say more, but to do so would expose dear people's situations.

Those stories are AMAZING! I drink those kinds of REAL stories in...love love love them. May I have the strength and clarity of mind to love like that in situations where I'd rather lashout.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Davene. I really appreciated it when I read it this morning.

Yes. We definitely can learn a lot from children.

Greg Z

Anonymous said...

Davene,
I'm sure you knew you would hear from me on this...lol
I contend that as with all things in the Bible, when it comes to peace and war, a Godly balance is needed. If you took all of the "fight" mentality out of your boys, how could they understand Paul?
1 Corinthians 9:26
Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.
1 Timothy 1:18
[ Fight the Good Fight ] This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare,
1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
And Jesus will fight:
Revelation 2:16
Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

In balance we should kill the war that is brought about inside us by the lust of the flesh to bring pleasure to ourselves,
James 4:1....Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members?

But we should become warriors for God like David was and we should sustain a godly contention.....like William Wilburforce who fought twenty years to abolish slavery and the current picketeers who waive signs in anger for our country allowing innocent babies to be murdered (your husband was a warrior in this fight)....do not take that warrior spirit from your boys because God uses it to change the world and win battles both spiritual and physical ones. And I am convinced that God is both a contentious spirit and a peaceful one, and so it can only bring Him glory for us men to take up His image in Christ Jesus, peaceful as a suffering servant, but warrior against all evil using the sword of the gospel!

Grace and Peace,
Chris

Bek said...

i really enjoyed hearing what your little boy had to say - thankful for no war on this soil for 142 years!

Davene said...

Chris,

As a matter of fact, I DID think about you when I was writing this...knowing that you would surely be unable to keep silent. Oh, well, I'm not afraid of a little "fight" with you! :)

I agree with your last phrase (among others): "using the sword of the gospel." What EXACTLY the sword of the gospel is, is the whole reason for debate, I think. And I don't think I'll venture to address that in too much detail at the moment.

But I will say this: I realize that boys are made to be fighters, protectors, little "wild men"...and I have no desire to kill that God-planted seed in my sons. But I do desire to point them to the example of Jesus and how He used that passion and drive and calling that He had. It seems to me, that just like with the stories I quoted above, Jesus used His strength and energy and bravery and "fight" to LOVE HIS ENEMIES...to the point of laying down His life for them.

Anyway, I have a lot more I could say about that...and plan to say...but enough for now.

Thanks, as always, for commenting! :)