Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Oh, How I Love Thrift Stores

As I was sorting through Josiah's clothes this fall, in preparation for colder weather, I realized that he simply did not have many long-sleeved shirts that fit him. I get so spoiled by being able to open a storage box and pull out whatever clothes David or the baby might need, but that doesn't work with Josiah since he's not getting hand-me-downs from anybody! So off to the thrift store we went today, on a mission to find shirts for Josiah.

I love thrift stores.

I can't figure out what's not to love about them, but I know some people are less than enthusiastic. Here are the things I like about them:

~ obviously, the clothes are cheaper--much cheaper--than they would be brand-new; and saving money is always a good thing in my book!
~ the money spent at thrift stores is usually going for some kind of good cause
~ and last but not least, Jeff and I both are huge fans of thrift store shopping...I can't imagine being married to a man who turned up his nose at second-hand merchandise...thankfully, Jeff and I are completely on the same page when it comes to this!

Today I got the 8 shirts pictured above for Josiah at the whopping price of $2.00 per shirt. When I realize that in all likelihood, both David and our baby will someday inherit these shirts, it becomes an even better deal--something like $.67 per child per shirt! :)

8 comments:

michaelonbass said...

My wife loves thrift stores. I gotta admit, though, I like new clothes.

Congrats on your impending arrival!

Kristy said...

I am feeling you girl! I love thrift stores, yard sales...i just love finding a bargain. Its so much more satisfying to me to find a bargain than to buy something brand new especially at the rate kids grow!

By the way, I asked Aaron about how you guys are related and he said he thinks it goes like this...your dad is Aaron's grandfather's 2nd cousin! Its a small world, eh?!?1

Christin said...

I'm with you! I can no longer justify buying things brand new. Not with alllll the thrift stores AND ebay to choose from.

I've found some BRAND NEW things from REALLY expensive stores in the Goodwill!!! Red letter day! ;)

Bek said...

i love thrift stores

second only to finding an incredible deal at a nice store (like the $5 shoes i found for my son at 3 year old at gapkids)

Bek said...

my 3 year old son, i meant to say

Anonymous said...

amen! we love thrift stores too! and it always seems like we find stuff we actually need and often things we were just wanting. :) another benefit to add to your list: you are being environmentally friendly by recycling clothes/household items instead of them ending up in a landfill! michelle benner

Julie said...

I am a fan of thrift stores, as well, and also sisters who send a bin of clothes at just the right time! I was just realizing how much Kirk has grown and how he had about 2 pairs of pants and a long sleeve shirt or two. I was preparing to look for boy clothes (which I find harder to find than girl ones for some reason)at my favorite G&T when Mom brought a bin that Sharon had sent FULL of fall/winter clothes that fit Kirk perfectly, some with room to grow. God is good!

pyrotechny said...

Your mom must be very proud of you! She would always admire my bargains! Bless you guys!