Monday, November 19, 2007

Proverbs 14:4, According to Me

What it really says:
Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest.

How I interpret it:
Without children and husband, my laundry chute would never be filled to overflowing, my bookshelves would stay perfectly organized, my floor wouldn't look like a pigpen, my counter wouldn't be cluttered with dirty dishes...but you need strong men and boys for a large harvest (of righteousness and peace--Hebrews 12:11).

Like my translation? Oh, I guess you could call it a paraphrase if you want to get technical about it! :)

And speaking of Proverbs...this is the one I shared with Josiah this morning as we snuggled on the couch under the oh-so-cozy quilt that Grandma Fisher gave us during her last visit (well, actually, she gave it to Jeff for his birthday, but he's a generous guy and shares it so we can all enjoy it!). Better to be patient than powerful; better to have self-control than to conquer a city. (16:32) For my power-loving, authority-seeking firstborn, this seemed highly appropriate!

3 comments:

Julie said...

What wonderful words of encouragement, my friend! And so timely, too! It was great to see you last night. Hugs!

Christin said...

I always thought that I would do such "in-depth" bible studies with my girlies, regardless of their age. But time marches on and I haven't done all that I mean to. You inspire me to keep at it

Davene said...

Welllll...I don't consider what I do to be "in-depth." :) But it is fun to share snippets of the Word with the boys fairly often. My task has been made easier recently because Josiah will sometimes ask me to read him a verse from what I read that morning. Um, wow, it can't get any easier than that! :)

Of course, yesterday, he didn't especially love the verse I shared with him, particularly because I reminded him of it throughout the day when I saw him try to pull a power-play. When I would gently say, "Better to be patient than powerful..." he would reply with, "But I LIKE to be powerful!" Yes, you do, dear one; yes, you do. :)