Sunday, August 5, 2007

Another Angle

While reading a devotional from Prayers & Promises for Mothers recently, I received an insight that is helping me in my ongoing struggle with patience. The verse at the beginning of the devotional was 2 Timothy 2:24 which says:

And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient.

Here is the rest of that devotional:

Lord, it's abundantly clear that gentleness and patience go together. I am not by nature a patient person, and that leaves the possibility of gentleness in question. If there's one thing children need, it's a gentle mother. They need to be assured by soft words and easy handling. Then, regardless of what they do and no matter what the surrounding circumstances are, they will know they are loved.

Harsh words break down self-confidence and harm a child's feelings of being worthwhile. Oh, help me, Father, not to be responsible for such destruction in the lives of my children. Guide me in how to gently and patiently teach them, discipline them, and love them. I want to give my children confidence in who they are and what they can do for You.

This new take on the patience dilemma has already been helpful to me as I have added the thought of being gentle to my daily struggles. It seems obvious that gentleness and patience go together, yet somehow being aware of the need for gentleness has given my mind a new way to approach challenging situations. To be gentle in my voice and in my movements is a specific way to practice and show patience; and that has given me a new area in which to grow in an old, old problem spot!

No comments: