Saturday, August 11, 2007

My Calling

I'm one of those people who, when they hear about a great opportunity for volunteering or serving others in some way, immediately think, "Oh, I'd like to do that!" If I could, I would be currently volunteering for our local literacy coalition and at our local pregnancy center...and probably more. Instead, I stay at home, care for my children and husband and home, and that's it. Big deal, right? If I was really disciplined and organized, surely I would be able to care for my family and teach my children and keep house and still have plenty of left-over time for worthwhile service outside the home! Right? Right???

While reading the (simply outstanding!) book Things We Wish We'd Known (compiled and edited by Bill & Diana Waring) recently, I came across this gem. I think I might need to get it tattooed into my forehead so I'm reminded of it every time I look in a mirror...or maybe to have it written on my hands would be more effective so I could see it constantly throughout the day. :)

I do not ask that Thou shouldst give me some high or noble task. Give me a little hand to hold in mine. Give me a little child to point Thy way, over the strange, sweet path that leads to You. Give me a little voice to teach to pray. Give me two shining eyes Thy face to see. The only crown I ask to wear is this, that I may teach a little child. I do not ask that I may stand among the wise, the worthy, or the great; I only ask that softly, hand-in-hand, a child and I may enter at the gate. - Anonymous

2 comments:

Tim and Michelle said...

I like that quote!! I've been thinking about that lately too as I realize I can't be as involved with Tim in youth stuff right now as I might like! I discovered your blog through a link back from ours :)
Michelle

Davene said...

Welcome, Michelle!!!

I hope your transition to mother of three is going splendidly. :)