Thursday, August 2, 2007

Old & New

Yesterday one of my projects was to mulch around my little magnolia trees. Josiah helped me, and we had fun together and got the job done fairly quickly.

Later standing in front of our big front window, I looked across the lawn and saw this sight...and loved it. The two tall maple trees standing in front, close to our driveway, with two of our little magnolias in the background, next to our neighbor's driveway. I was reminded of the fact that the maples were planted by my parents (I don't remember what year), but it was certainly within my lifetime and hasn't really been that long ago, if I remember correctly. And now look at those maples! Tall, strong, gorgeous in the fall, simply beautiful.

Now at just a foot or two tall, my magnolias lack majesty but make up for it in promise. To plant a tree, one must be a visionary--and a patient one at that! I find my vision is helped by seeing the examples of growth that surround me here in this place.