Friday, August 31, 2007

More from Wednesday's Appointment

Besides the big news from Wednesday that I wrote a few posts ago, I realized that I didn't really say much else about that appointment...and I didn't answer the questions that were raised in the comments. So here's the scoop!

Josiah was with us at the ultrasound and did great. I'm really glad he was there to be in on the news from the beginning. When I first got pregnant, we asked Josiah if he wanted a brother or a sister, and he said sister. But a few weeks ago, he said that he wanted another brother because boys are rougher. Before our appointment on Wednesday, Jeff asked him what he thought it would be, and he said boy. But when the midwife asked him what he thought after the ultrasound, he said he wanted a sister. So...a little back and forth in his opinion, I guess! :) One thing that I think will happen after the baby is born is that Josiah will realize how big David is and how much stuff they can actually do together, since compared to the baby, David really will be a big, capable boy. But who knows? It's always hard to guess how all the members of the family will adjust to a new addition, and it's a bit dangerous to make too many assumptions.

David has heard the news that our baby is a boy; but despite the fact that every day he prays for "Baby," he seems incredulous of the fact that there actually is a baby in my tummy. When I tell him excitedly that he will get to be a big brother, he says, "No, LITTLE brother!" So I say, "Yes, you'll be a little brother AND a big brother!" But he's not grasping or admitting that. :)

I think the day will come when all 3 boys will be very grateful for the fact that they have each other; at least, that is my fervent hope and prayer!

One unexpected benefit of the appointment on Wed.--I realized as I looked around at all the other pregnant women (some, HUGELY pregnant and looking seriously ready to pop) that I'm not really that big after all! :) It was really quite comforting! Here at home, I feel like I'm just growing and growing and growing; but I was assured that I'm not really the biggest pregnant lady in our town after all. Not that I'm comparing or anything... ;)

It's funny to see my parents respond to my "growth" since in my pregnancies with Josiah and David, Dad and Mother lived too far away to see me expand. When Mother came to San Diego to attend my baby shower and celebrate my birthday when I was 7 months pregnant with Josiah, I remember her "studying" me in the airport when we first saw each other, then saying, "Yes, you really look pregnant!" :) Now she and Dad get to see me gradually filling out more and more of my maternity clothes!

One funny thing about Dad--during our trip to Maryland/Pennsylvania last Sunday (which I intend to blog about, but still haven't done), we had gotten a bag of gummy bears to eat in the car. At one point in the afternoon, I was driving...and reaching into that bag for snacks. Dad made some comment about that not being the best snack for a pregnant woman. But THEN...a few minutes later, I caught him with HIS hand in that bag...and had to remind him that I didn't think it was the best snack for non-pregnant men either!!! :)

At our county fair, our hospital had set up a booth and was doing various free medical tests, including checking blood pressure. So I stopped by and had mine checked. It was high--141 over 85--so I got a little anxious about it. My easy-going doctor dad said, "Oh, don't worry about it. You were at the fair after all, and it was hot and crowded and you had the boys to look after and you'd been walking, etc." So I tried not to worry. :) But I was eager to see what my blood pressure would be on Wednesday. It turned out to be 130 over 70, which the midwife assured me was fine. Whew! I was glad to hear that.

When I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office on Wednesday and the nurse started adjusting the weights to see how much I'd gained, unbeknownst to us, Jeff put his foot on the scale to make me weigh more. Thanks, hon, that's exactly what I need right now!!! :) (He took it off then, of course, so she could get an accurate measurement.) My weight was fine--and belly measurement was 20 centimeters; perfect for my 20th week.

The midwife said the baby looks to be in the 66th percentile as far as size, I think. I know it was the 60 somethings, but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, she said that looked good--not too big, but just a little bigger than average.

During the ultrasound, when the technician was trying to capture an image of his feet, he was kicking and kicking. It was so much fun to see him move! I remember during one of our ultrasounds with Josiah when we were really new to the whole ultrasound thing, Josiah was moving a lot, too; and the doctor said, "Movement is a good thing, a sign of health," and that has always stuck with me. I can still hear her saying it. :)

On Wednesday, Baby was head down so his feet were up under my belly button doing their wild dance.

And...let's see...that's all I can think of for now! :)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Our first ultrasound withy Brady was at 3 months, (they were trying to figure a due date since things hadn't gone back to normal after my miscarriage)I couldn't belive how active he was! It was shortly after that I started feeling him move, and he's not stopped since. Right now, he's squirming around on my lap, trying to open the desk drawer!