Thursday, August 9, 2007

What I Have--and Have Not--Accomplished This Week

If I want to guarantee that I will NOT get a certain project accomplished in a particular week, all I have to do is write it in my planner for that week. It's simply a given that if I write it down, I will inevitably not be able to find any extra time to do it...or more commonly, I'll spend any available extra time on a DIFFERENT project. Makes a lot of sense, I know!

For example, in my planner for this week, I wrote down three special projects: 1. put pictures in album, 2. organize pics folder on computer, 3. make & pass out invites for neighbor potluck. Sounds simple, right? Well, here it is, late Thursday night, and none of those projects are done. None have even been worked on this week, in fact.

Instead, I did the vitally important job of organizing some of my kitchen cupboards yesterday and today. Why I suddenly felt the need to do that, I'm not sure. But I was compelled.

One of the benefits of undertaking an organizational project like this is that you discover things you didn't know you had ("oh, I have cumin! and look at all this powdered sugar that was hiding!"). Another benefit is you suddenly have more space for things. In the picture above, look at that one whole section of cupboard that is completely empty. How wonderful! I wonder what I'm going to fill it up with...

4 comments:

New Mom said...

Looks like somebody like International Coffee!

New Mom said...

I mean likes... Nathan was talking to me as I typed.

Davene said...

Yep, that would be me that likes it. :) I'm not much of a coffee drinker, actually...but when I can get French Vanilla decaf, or Vanilla Creme (no caffeine), and easily stir up a cup, it's a good thing. Perfect for cool mornings--not that we've had a lot of those recently! But I'm prepared for when we do!!! :)

New Mom said...

By the way, everything looks so nice and tidy. Isn't it great to be able to actually see everything in the cabinets ;) I really, really need to do mine. Wish you were here to help me get motivated!

I commented back to you on the cow post (on my blog). I did't know if you saw it or not but I wanted you to know what Nathan's mom said about your compliment.