Friday, August 17, 2007

Jeffrey, the Brave

Last night we had one of the most intense lightning-and-thunder storms I have ever witnessed. In fact, if my memory is correct, I have NEVER seen such lightning before. It was literally flash upon flash with no pause between. Truly amazing!

I am not terribly afraid of storms; in fact, on the one hand, I find them fascinating. On the other hand, however, I tend to think of all the things that can go wrong during storms--will our house get struck by lightning? is our house grounded? can lightning enter a house through glass windows? will the towering oak tree by my parents' house be struck and topple onto their house? will any of our trees fall over? if either maple behind our house fell, could it crush the boys' room? I try to be extremely careful to not communicate any of this anxiety to Josiah and David, so I play it off like storms are exciting and wonderful. But one member of our household actually thinks that storms really ARE exciting and wonderful--and that's Daddy dearest.

I love the fact that when we have a storm, Jeff says to Josiah, "Let's open the curtains and snuggle on the couch and watch the awesome lightning!" And it really becomes such a fun adventure and memory-making time for them. Jeff's boldness and bravery teaches Josiah (and will someday teach David, who at this stage of life seems to sleep peacefully through all our storms) how to be a strong, brave man. Let me add this to the list of a billion reasons why I love my husband...

2 comments:

Christin said...

I love that you document these "why I love Jeff" moments for your children to view over and over again.

If nothing else...if you never become Mrs. Craft Queen Extraordaire, if you never read your children War and Peace, if you never accomplish all the things that WE think are important to do in order for our children to be better...it's no matter. Because it is these moments of loving your husband that will impact them the most, and the deepest. You know? :) *Here's to loving our men*

Davene said...

Thanks, Christin; that's genuinely encouraging to me. I really appreciate it!