Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Finally!

Meanwhile today...while Jeff was building a kiln and making pottery...while Josiah was helping his daddy and being a fireman...while David was proudly wearing his new Thomas water shoes...I was happily FINISHING a project which has been going on for a very long time--organizing the cellar!!!

Our cellar is such a cool room--one of the main reasons we bought this house. Just kidding. The previous owners were pretty persuasive sellers; that's the real reason we bought it. :) But we are very fond of our cellar. Jeff likes it because it makes him feel safe and secure to look around and see so much good food. The boys like it because it has a gravel floor that they can occasionally (when Mommy doesn't care if they get dirty) play in. And I like it because it has such great storage space. It's incredible! Compared with the previous places we lived after marriage and the tiny spaces I tried to squeeze canned food into, this cellar is like a palace! :)

So now, nearly two years after we moved here, I have finally finished the project of organizing it--sending various unidentifiable items down the hill to my parents' house ("do YOU want to eat this?"), getting rid of a few jars of mysteriously growing things (maybe fruit? maybe veggies? who can tell?) that were a decade or two old. I had started and stopped this project a few times along the way; but wow, it is such a good feeling to actually finish this!

And by the way, lest someone notice the rows of soda and think we are soda junkies, we are not at all! Jeff doesn't drink the stuff, especially after his latest bout with mouth sores (caused by a certain ingredient in sodas). And I only occasionally indulge, and then it's only Vanilla Coke. :) We actually keep so many sodas on hand to offer to guests when they come. So if you stop by, we have quite a selection! :)




5 comments:

New Mom said...

Wow that cellar is AWESOME. And your jars look so pretty all lined up in a row. Doesn't it feel so good to finally complete a project you've been putting off forever?

Umm, I take it your parents were the previous owners...

Unknown said...

It's BEAUTIFUL -- there's no other word to describe the little shiver I get when looking at a full, organised pantry. I agree with Jeff -- it's tremendously comforting to see a nice stash of food and know there's no shortage -- especially when it includes so much tasty home-canned stuff. My husband always jokes that we have enough to last out 'the next war', and although I loathe shopping for clothing or homewares, buying food (especially if I can be thrifty) is one of my pleasures.

Davene said...

Yep, my parents were the previous owners...and we couldn't possibly ask for better previous owners!!! :)

New Mom said...

BTW, I know where I'm goin' if there's ever a famine in the land!

Davene said...

New Mom, you're so funny. But yeah, feel free to come on by if you're running out of food!

You should have seen this place before Y2K! My parents took the threat of mass chaos VERY SERIOUSLY, and they were prepared for ANYTHING!

It is nice to be stocked up on things and not have to run to the store every day or two for this or that. :)