Monday, August 27, 2007

Gone Living

Ever seen those cute signs that say "Gone Fishing" or "Gone Shopping" or some other fun thing? I feel like I need a sign that says "Gone Living!" My life has been so busy the past few days that I haven't had time to blog at all about...my life!

I hope to get at least partially caught up on this blog; but to begin with, I'll share one lesson I'm continuing to learn. Busy spells like this make me realize that more and more, I have to count the cost of having so many activities in my schedule. As I look back over the past few days, I can't think of anything that I would like to cut out!!! But I realize that I do pay a price when such wonderful activities get piled up on top of each other, and that price gets paid in the areas of: household organization and cleanliness, Josiah and David's fatigue which easily leads to grumpiness, my own fatigue which can also lead to grumpiness :(, our school schedule (which I realize can be quite flexible because learning--true learning--is taking place in lots of different ways, not just sitting at a desk working, but still...), time with Jeff, etc.

Speaking of Jeff, he has a knack for helping me keep things in perspective and say "no" to things I might otherwise say "yes" to! Gently or not-so-gently, God uses him to help prune my schedule so I can stay sane. :)

Anyway, I only have a few minutes to blog now; but to get things started, I'll include this picture of Josiah looking up at a paper chain he made to count down the days until we go to the beach! He made it the end of last week when there were 24 more days to go, and he has faithfully taken one link off each day--he doesn't even need me to remind him! I have great memories of making such chains with my brother, and it was a fun project to help Josiah make this one. Today we only have 20 more days until we leave! :)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Just catching up after being gone, and was pleased to see you tried the french onion soup! I have it on the menu for next week, and can hardly wait!

Unknown said...

It's so easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of extras -- although it is marvellous to be out and about, I do find that some quiet time at home is essential. After a little cleaning and breakfast, we like to pop out most mornings for a few hours, but make sure we are home for lunch and a peaceful, housework-and-cooking-dinner-time in the afternoon. Otherwise I get so behind, and we are also grumpy!

Julie said...

Awww...Davene! I know this well. It's okay to just live. You reminded me that the blog was made for us and not us for the blog. Thanks for posting, though. It's fun to see how you are doing.

We are blessed with wonderful husbands. Steve does the same for me...helps me think things through and limit commitments.

Off to school supply shop!!! I'm enjoying the last week of summer before my kiddos return to school.

Hugs to you!!!!