Thursday, December 20, 2007

Blogland

Blogland is a funny world--a true community in the sense of being a place where friends, both real-life friends and "in the computer" friends, can share joys, sorrows, triumphs, defeats, laughs, cries, and all the rest of the multitude of emotions and happenings that comprise life. Whenever I take the time to check in with those blogs I follow, I can always find something to make me smile...and something that makes my heart ache.

Recently, for example, I read about a miscarriage here and here...and my heart wept. Then I read about a new baby here...and my heart rejoiced. Then I read a profound column about "Glass Balls" (scroll down in the sidebar) here...and my heart pondered. Then I watched a video clip here...and my heart sang.

Doing this blog has been one of the genuine joys of my life this past year, and I've been amazed at how many new friends and kindred spirits I've run across through this blogging connection, as well as how many old friends I've reconnected with in this way. When I started my blog, I didn't know ANYONE (except Jeff, and his blogging was a bit sporadic!) who was blogging. I read the blogs of other women that I didn't know personally, and was very inspired by what I read (inspired enough to try it out anyway!). But none of my friends were blogging...or if they were, I didn't know it! Now it's so much fun to look down my list of links and see who has a blog and be able to peek inside their lives and actually grow and cultivate our friendship in this way.

I'm obviously at the season of life where I don't have much time to run into town and join a friend for a cup of coffee...or go out with a group of women and see the latest romantic movie...or have someone over for hours and hours of uninterrupted conversation. So I'm especially grateful for the connection I can have through the computer. It may not be the same as face-to-face sharing, but it's a very helpful substitute during this phase of my life!

Another surprise that I've encountered through blogging is seeing how many women all across the country (and world) are interested in and are pursuing the "old-fashioned" arts of sewing, canning, crocheting, gardening, cooking, hosting tea parties, etc. Women--young and old--are devoting themselves to their children, to their husbands, to their homes, and to all kinds of home-making skills that FAR surpass my own.

Each of the blogs that I link to and that I visit has a little different flavor. Many times during this past year, I've had to remind myself that I am not them...and they are not me...and my blog doesn't have to look like theirs...and my accomplishments don't have to measure up to theirs. (Whew! It's a good thing, because I'd never make it!!!) I don't agree with everything posted by the bloggers I visit, and I'm sure they don't agree with everything I post. But what a fun way to share thoughts, gain inspiration, and spur one another on in our personal journeys of faith and family.

I know I wouldn't have posted this much or had this much fun with it this year, if it hadn't been for Jeff. He taught me everything I know! And I'm so very grateful for his help and encouragement.

I expect that I will have fewer posts in the new year, since I'll have an extra little guy around here to demand time and attention. But we'll see how it goes...

To all of you who journey with me in this way and who share your own journeys through your blogs, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

6 comments:

Bek said...

i agree....blogland and blogfriends are truly a fun and unique experience!!!! its nice to have met you end of this year! :)

Valerie said...

Speaking of grand inspiration, Davene--you are mine!! I began blogging because I loved yours! (I just waited to tell others till I knew that I would keep up with it. My days are quite full, but I have managed to blog here and there.)
It has been so incredibly fun to have a glimpse into your young family! God has blessed you SO much (and I know you are aware of that and are grateful!) and it encourages me that perhaps because of the wonderful training and teaching that God had poured into our family's life that my children will be able to start out their married life with such stability and purposefulness as you and Jeff have.
Thanks for sharing your life with me! Keep looking to Him and enjoying His abundant blessings!

New Mom said...

I'm so glad that I somehow got connected to your blog. It's been a pleasure *chatting* with you. Blogging is great because as busy moms, sometimes we don't have time to sit for an hour and talk-- even on the phone, but with blogging we can post a little here and a little there at our convenience. Now don't be a stranger after you have that little one!

Chris said...

Davene,

My family loves you and we thank you for so many things especially your hospitality, but your blog gives us a window to look into the beauty of God in your family, so even after this baby keep up the good work of writing! I look forward to peering through the eyepiece of my computer into the life of your family and it is a common conversation for me and Misty to talk about what is new at the Fisher House (and we get the majority of the info from the blog). Thank You.

Elizabeth said...

So sweet Davene. I understand what you are saying whole heartedly! Your blog and your thoughts are so encouraging and interesting. I love checking to see what you have posted next. As New Mom said "don't be a stranger" Can't wait to read about the new baby =)

Merry Christmas!

Christin said...

:) It's so nice b/c I rarely have the time to call friends...but this way, I get to stay in touch with the little things of your life. I love being able to "watch" you from afar.