Monday, December 31, 2007

For My Boys

I'm going to brag for a moment about my children--not so that anyone reading this will think they're amazing children (though they clearly are!)--but simply so that one day, 20 years from now, when Josiah and David are sitting around reading this blog (what? you don't think they'll be doing that in 20 years??? well, maybe in 70 years when I'm dead and gone!), they'll be able to remember some special moments from their childhood. So, feel free to skip this post if you're not family...or read along so it can remind you of moments from your own life or the lives of your children that make you equally as proud! :)

At Cracker Barrel last Friday evening, we were sitting near a table where an elderly man and his wife sat. I didn't pay too much attention to them, although the man was in my direct line of vision; but the only thing I really noticed about them was that before they ate, they held hands and bowed their heads to pray...which was nice to see, and of course, we did that, too. At the end of their meal, the man came over to us and told us what a pleasure it was to see such a nice family enjoying dinner out together and how impressed he was by the good behavior of our boys. I was thrilled. Since I've become a mom, I've realized that people can basically ignore me and fail to give me compliments...but as long as they say nice things about my boys, I will glow--and will love those people forever! Anyway, I appreciated so much the extra time and effort that the Cracker Barrel man went to in coming over to pay us that compliment. :)

And that reminded me of another compliment to our boys recently. After our maternity photo session, our photographer called a few days later to make sure we had gotten the CD with the pictures and that everything was working right and that we were satisfied with everything. He and Jeff had a very congenial conversation, in the middle of which the photographer said that he had never dealt with such well-behaved children before in any of his photo shoots. He was so impressed that he could tell them where to sit or stand and what to do--and they would do it. He was particularly impressed by David, since most 2 year-olds would act up more and not be nearly as cooperative as David had proven to be. (In actuality, Josiah was the better-behaved of the two and was even more exact as far as following the photographer's instructions to a T...but since that's more expected for a 5 year-old than for a 2 year-old, David's behavior actually stood out more.) In any case, once again, I was so grateful to hear such kind words about my sons!!!

OK...this mother's brag session is over...but, Josiah and David, if you ever read these words, may they always remind you of how much I love you...and how unspeakably proud I am of you!

No comments: