Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Start of a New Tradition?

Jeff arrived home early from work today and announced that he had heard about a Christmas tree farm fairly close to us where we could go and cut our own tree--and it would be cheaper than any we could buy in town, anyway. :) So we eventually got ourselves loaded up in the minivan and set out on this adventure. With no better directions than "it's in Singers Glen, close to the post office, and over a hill," we weren't quite sure if we would be able to find it! After only one stop at the local market in Singers Glen to ask directions (where we saw a dead bear--A BEAR--in the back of a hunter's pick-up truck...which reminds me, I have had way too many scary dreams involving bears recently...anyway...), we did indeed find the place--and had enough daylight left to get a tree (a White Pine tree, which is my favorite for Christmas!) and almost make it home before it got dark.

It was really fun to go pick a tree and cut it down ourselves! That's actually something that I've never done before, so I was happy to finally have that experience. Everything about it was really so great that I can definitely imagine we'll go back next year...and the next year...and the next...
~ our weather has been chilly recently; and when Jeff had to take both hands out of his pockets to cut down the tree, I lovingly :) offered him my gloves...he said, "Oh, I don't need them; this won't take me but 3 minutes"...he only over-estimated by about 2 minutes, since it seemed like in less than 60 seconds, he had that tree down...I didn't even have time to take all the pictures I was planning to do :)
~ Daddy and his boys...I lagged behind, letting my weary self have a slower pace over the hill...I can't figure out why pregnancy affects so many parts of my body! :)
~ one happy kid

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love going out to cut down the Christmas tree! My mom took my brother and I every year to cut down our tree... and yes it was just my little mom trudging through the tree farm, saw in hand, with the kids trailing behind. It was always so much fun finding the perfect tree!

Christin said...

oh yeah! I have to agree the Tree Hunt IS so fun! I can't believe this was your first time! EXCITING!!!

Crystal said...

That's the tree farm my family always used when we lived there. :) Great memories. By the way, we got our tree today, too. Except we hunted it down in the vast expanse known as the Home Depot gardening center. Not nearly as much fun. ;-)

Foxy5 said...

Growing up we always cut down our own tree. It was lots of fun! It is something I miss now that we have a fake tree... but I enjoy having my tree up for much longer than a real tree would ever survive. :)

I really like your new header, is that your tree all decorated?? It is very pretty whatever it is. :)

Lisa said...

At least your tree hunt next year won't include a tired pregnant lady!

The tree hunt is the best!! Sweet memories for your boys.

Davene said...

Val, thanks for the comment about the header! Actually, the picture is our tree two years ago--our first year in Virginia. Although I've just now gotten around to getting the tree completely decorated this year, I definitely don't have any presents under it yet. One thing at a time, I keep telling myself during this season of lethargic end of pregnancy. :)