Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Pie Man

Something has gotten into Jeff.

He's been making pies.

Although he's much more likely than I am to spontaneously launch into some ambitious project like pie-making, it's still not exactly normal behavior for him. Hmm...is he nesting? :)

On Sunday, he took one of the pumpkins that had decorated our front steps, cooked it, used that to make 3 pumpkin pies, made the crust from scratch, and roasted the pumpkin seeds. I have NEVER made a pumpkin pie using a real pumpkin--canned store-bought pumpkin always seems much too appealing to me--but I salute him for his ability to do things the "real" way!

Yesterday afternoon, he made a boysenberry pie. I have NEVER made a boysenberry pie. It made the house smell so good while I was taking an afternoon nap on the couch, and it was so yummy to eat while we had a family movie night and watched "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" last evening.

Whatever's gotten into Jeff, I'm definitely enjoying the fruit of his labor!
~ Jeff and David making pumpkin pies on Sunday afternoon
~ a scrumptious boysenberry pie Jeff made on Wednesday

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My Dad also has a strange affinity with pies -- a friend of his occassionally comes over for a pie-making day, and they whip up all sorts of fabulous savoury confections. As my husband says, "the only thing better than cake is pie!"

New Mom said...

I think Jeff needs to have a talk with Nathan. Maybe some of that baking thing will rub off on him! Beautiful Boysenberry pie!

Lisa said...

That's so cool that Jeff is so involved in cooking and domestic related activities. Prop up your feet and enjoy...

He's a Proverbs 31 husband! haha!

Bonnie said...

Wow,a husband that bakes, and does it well from the looks of things!