Monday, December 31, 2007

No Wonder David Loves His Aunt and Uncle

First, Aunt Lori feeds him numerous bites of Oreo ice cream dessert...

...then they do this together and think it's the funniest thing!
The next day, he gets away with doing this to Uncle David's face...

...then the Big D responds by tickling him and making him laugh so hard!
It sure is fun having extra family members around!!!

When I was in college, one of my music professors (who was also my piano teacher) defined extrovert v. introvert this way: an extrovert gains energy from being with people, but an introvert loses energy by being with people. That definition has stuck with me through the years and has helped me to understand people who are different than me...but it came to mind particularly forcefully this past weekend as I realized that my little David dear is a huge extrovert! We saw clear evidence of this by how energized he was by being around our guests and by how long it took him to fall asleep (or, maybe it was just the sugar in the dessert Aunt Lori gave him!). Seriously though, he got such little sleep during the weekend compared to what he normally gets...and he was still such a happy little camper, cheerful to the utmost at 11:30 p.m. when his big brother and two big cousins were trying their best to ignore him and go to sleep in his room. But imagine--three people sleeping right in the same room with him! That was the perfect occasion for celebration! And celebrating is exactly what David did. Of course, no one else in the room (or the house) was exactly celebrating...but that didn't stop David. In fact, nothing stopped him until Jeff literally picked David up, laid him down in bed with us, and held him still until he finally fell asleep. But the next day--oh, the torture of having to take a nap with cousins in the house! And the next night, when we put David in a playpen in our room to make sure Jacob and Isaac didn't have to deal with David talking exuberantly to them ("Jacob, I want to talk to you!") in the late hours of the night, we again experienced the amazing power of David's energy and talkativeness. Fortunately, both Jeff and I were so tired that we were able to ignore him and fall asleep regardless of his attempts at conversation. :)
But, oh my, what a little extrovert we seem to have on our hands! He sure had fun amusing us all during the weekend. :)
(Just a note in response to a question that Hilda Rebecca asked...our big table that was visible in some previous pictures is the table we use all the time. However, it has 6 leaves that can be put in it to make it the full-length of our kitchen--we don't have a dining room--and that's how we had it for the weekend. Usually, however, we have 1 or 2 leaves in it. I had always wanted such a big table so that when we have large groups of people over, we could all sit around the same table...and I was thrilled when we returned from Israel and moved here to acquire this one, since my parents were moving to the smaller house down the hill and had no room for such a big table. Along with the table, I inherited the responsibility to host family dinners and such...but since I enjoy that immensely, it hasn't been a problem at all!)

3 comments:

Julie said...

I like the new look of your blog, Davene! I am definitely the introvert of the family. Steve is the extrovert. Often I come home from church or any other gathering of people feeling drained...I can see why, now. It's not that I don't enjoy people or my friends or the body of Christ...it's just that so much talking and being around other people really does cause me to feel exhausted. Happy New Year!

Bonnie said...

The story of David reminds me of when DH and I were dating and went to a New Years Eve party at our friends house. THe brothers family was over, and all the cousins were put to bed( some on the floor I'm guessing) one when of them came down and complained that his sister, and cousin Kendra would not stop talking to or kissing him! We all had a good laugh while the Dads went up and settled everyone back down.
Kids are so funny!

Lisa said...

It was so good to see Lori and David and their family! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, who is an extrovert/introvert has been a topic of conversation a lot at our house recently! (with all the gatherings and such) I had to laugh when I read your post. It's such a big deal...I'm the extrovert and Scott's the introvert.