Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My Third Christmas Gift

I'm a gifts person. So, as a result, I like to tell Jeff things like: "What I really want for Christmas is..." He listens patiently, knowing that often I'll change my mind and decide that I really want something else for Christmas!

But this year, so far, I have said, "What I really want for Christmas is some professional maternity pictures," and I've gotten them.

Then I said, "What I really want for Christmas is a cheap CD player to have on the little table beside the glider rocker in our bedroom so that I can listen to our lullaby CDs while I nurse the baby there," and today at Walmart, we found one for $20...and Jeff bought it for me. Perfect.

But I had also said, "What I really want for Christmas is a BIG map of the world for our wall so that when we're studying various places during Learning Time, we'll be able to see exactly where they are." (After all, every homeschooling family worth their salt decorates their house with maps, right?) :) So, my dear husband ordered this huge map (a little bigger than 6' x 4') from eBay, and today at Home Depot we got the moulding to put around it, and tonight Jeff hung it for me. I love it. I can hardly wait to read about some exotic place with Josiah so that we can run upstairs to where this map is hung and find out where in the world that place is. Even tonight as I glanced casually over the map, I found myself thinking, "Hmm, I've never heard of that place before," and "Wow, I didn't realize that city was farther north than that one." I sure have a lot to learn!
So I feel richly blessed, as I've already received these three wonderful gifts for Christmas. And you know what? There are more packages under the tree for me! Am I spoiled or what??? :)

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'd missed your sweet comments and decided to pop in and see how you are doing.
I LOVE maps, too! Must be the former teacher thing in me. I've saved some for homeschooling as well and was just thinking the other say about hanging one up in Pumpkin's room. So what if he just turned two? It is amazing all of the places there are on maps, isn't it?

Julie said...

Maps are Kirk's BIG THING right now. We hung a large US map on one wall of his room and a World map on the other...this was after we noticed his obsession with the atlas. So every night before bed, he says, "Let's do map time" and points to (and reads the name of) various places on the maps. One moment that amazed me was when I was looking at Antarctica and trying to find Vinson Massif. He says, "It's right there." very matter-of-factly and pointed right to it. And I had been searching. So cute and fun to see interests blossom. (Don't tell, but he's getting a globe for Christmas.)
And I'm not even a homeschooling mama! Must be doubly fun for you.

And, yes, you are very blessed. Thanks for sharing!!! Thinking of you today.