Saturday, December 1, 2007

Still Giving Thanks

A few random things I've been grateful for recently:

1. All the feedback from my last post. The suggestions have really been invaluable in "unsticking" my brain from the useless wheel it was on, and I'm feeling so much better about that last half hour of the day before the boys conk out. A big thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts or even just their compassion and "I've been there" stories! Jeff and I have talked about the various ideas, and have decided to implement a few changes to streamline the bedtime routine and preserve my sanity. :) One change is not always reading a devotional book at bedtime. I don't know why I felt like I couldn't possibly eliminate that, because when I think about it, I realize that in the morning at the beginning of learning time, we read a Bible story...and at supper time before we eat, we read from another Bible story book (a short and simple one). So it's not as if the boys aren't getting any exposure to the Bible around here or any spiritual conversation from us! I know why I started the practice of reading a devotional at bedtime: it was because Josiah was having quite a time with fear as he went to sleep and bad dreams in his sleep, and it seemed like helping him to focus on God and have a particular story to think about as he went to sleep would be a good idea. And it was, I think. But that doesn't mean I have to do it forever! Life changes, and it's OK to let the routine change, too, right?

I've got to respond to the comment Chris left about eliminating the lullabies. :) You might remember that some time ago, Josiah did actually ask me to stop singing his lullaby, which reduced me to tears for a time; but I complied! Well, recently, the boys have decided that rather than jumping on their beds while I sing David's lullaby (which used to be the preferred activity), they now love to chase each other around their room and "get" each other. I think it has something to do with Josiah loving to pretend he's tyrannosaurus rex, and he's got to have some prey to attack. :) Anyway, not only do they LOVE lullaby time, Josiah has actually been asking me to sing his lullaby again, along with David's, so that they'll have more time to chase each other! I don't think that's going to get eliminated from the routine; but it's certainly not the soft and cozy moment that you might have thought, Chris. :)

2. My mom had knee surgery on Thursday; and although I'm not grateful she had to have surgery, I AM grateful that she's recovering fairly well from it. Not that there haven't been any setbacks because there have (like her almost passing out this morning and having a blood pressure of 60 over 40), but overall she's doing well and is able to basically just sit and rest and read and nap and watch TV and just be (rather than just do, which is her normal mode of operation). One interesting thing about this recovery time is that she has spent some time watching old episodes of "The Waltons" on TV, which brings back to my mind so many memories of my grandmother who, when living with my parents after her shoulder surgery and also in the months leading up to her death from a brain tumor, used to really enjoy watching "The Waltons." Yes, my grandmother, who never owned a TV and knew as much about pop culture as a flea does (which is actually a good thing!), became quite the Waltons guru in her last days. Because her hearing wasn't quite as sharp as it had been, she had to turn the volume way up to hear the program, so everyone in the whole house got to hear all about the Waltons, too! "Goodnight, John Boy..."

3. Time to reconnect with Jeff last night. I'm sure most married couples can relate to the "ships passing in the night" feeling that had been afflicting us recently. It was SO GOOD to catch up with each other last night and feel like we were connecting on a much deeper level than "this is what we did in homeschool today" or "did you feed the calves?"

4. Jeff & Josiah went to the Shenandoah Valley Children's Choir Christmas concert tonight, leaving David and I here to keep the home fires burning. David, being his usual self of late, finished his supper very slowly. I'm not sure when he'll realize that it's actually a lot more fun to eat quickly and then have time to play before bedtime, but he's still in the mode of "let me look at this food for an hour before I finally eat it." The good side of this is that while he was sitting in one spot, occupied with his spaghetti and bread, I had time to work in the baby's room and finish getting it ready for him. The preparations were not too extensive--putting a sheet in the crib, putting the bumper back in the crib, changing a few pictures, moving a few stuffed animals, getting out the wipes warmer (essential piece of baby equipment, especially for a winter baby!), adding a little more to the bag I plan to take to the hospital--but it was really fun to have time to focus on those small tasks, and also to simply enjoy being in the nursery and daydreaming about the little fellow who will soon be occupying it.

5. The Christmas season which is fast approaching. I've been in slow motion when it comes to taking down fall decorations and putting up Christmas ones. In fact, I'm probably averaging putting up one Christmas decoration per day. At this rate, it sure will be quick and easy to de-decorate in January! :) But I really do love Christmas; and as soon as I get the energy, I'm eager to get out the Christmas boxes and dive into those "treasures" again, feeling the rush of memories that always consumes me as I see old "friends" again. Today the decoration of the day was this paper countdown chain that Josiah made this afternoon. How blessed I am to have a paper Christmas chain made by my son. Not even Martha Stewart, with all her beautiful arrangements and elegant decorations, can top this one!!! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I also can't wait to have a tree full of ragged, hastily made, paper and string decorations! I'll look back at my colour co-ordinated efforts with contempt!

Christin said...

I happen to LOVE the Waltons as well! Our library has a bunch of the completed seasons of DVD. So never having watched them before (and not owning "tv"...aside from our 1/2 channel) we borrowed them. And loved it :D