Thursday, April 24, 2008

Capturing Today

On this day in our family's history, these were our boys.

This is what they looked like. This is what they did. This is who they were at the unique stages of life that they are experiencing.

How to capture this? With a picture? A few words? It's hardly enough; but really, it's all I can do.

Every once in a while, I take some time to read back through the archives of this blog. I randomly pick a month and open it up, then revel in forgotten details of everyday life and delight in the faces I see smiling back at me from the pictures. And then I think, "I'm so glad I took the time on that particular day to record something about our life." A year from now, I won't remember what happened today...unless I snag a piece of it and jot it down. I certainly don't remember, as I sit here tonight, what I was doing a year ago. (Actually, I just checked, and I didn't post anything a year ago, so I have no memory of it. See...that proves my point!) :)

Here's to capturing a bit of today for the future tomorrows which will, all too swiftly, become yesterdays.

**********
JOSIAH
~ Josiah had fun setting up these markers this morning after coloring a picture...he told me today that his favorite part of homeschool isn't math anymore; it's coloring :)...Josiah hasn't been feeling well the past two days and has mostly complained of a headache; he's had a low-grade fever, and today when I was taking his temperature (under his arm since he doesn't like it in his mouth), I teased him with "Here comes the tickle stick!" as I put the thermometer in his armpit...he laughed and laughed...laughter is good medicine
**********
DAVID

~ this was David during his nap this afternoon...recently he has started saying, "Mommy, do you know what? I love you, NO MATTER WHAT!"...he shakes his head emphatically during the last three words to really prove his point...tonight he said that when he's 14 years old, he'll be a big boy; and when I asked him what he'll do when he's 14, he said that he'll play with his rubber duck that Grandma and Grandpa brought him from their Florida trip :)

**********

TOBIN

~ Tobin LOVES to hold onto fabric now...when I'm nursing him, he'll grab my shirt and hold it tightly...when I'm changing his diaper, he'll have the cloth I lay over his body (to prevent "geysers"!) in his little hand...and now, when he's wearing a bib, he'll grasp it and act like he'll never let go

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What kind of camera do you have? These are FABULOUS...

Chris said...

Davene, I really like this post. You said, "A year from now, I won't remember what happened today...unless I snag a piece of it and jot it down. I certainly don't remember, as I sit here tonight, what I was doing a year ago." And I believe that this is why God gave us the Bible. So that we can revel in his past graces and power and might and so that by reveling in the past it gives us assurance and hope and perseverence for living in his future grace, his promises that we know he will fulfill in Christ for us. Living in future grace is living in a way where you put all your trust and satisfactions in God's Son because everything is YES in Christ Jesus; he is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

Anonymous said...

I love being able to take every moment as a special gift. This is the best reward of being a stay at home Mom.

I just love your boys even though I've never met them.

Misty said...

cute post... what a good idea! And we have that bib that Tobin is wearing..lol