Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Next Year in Jerusalem...

...this year in West Virginia!

I don't think I ever imagined I would spend Passover in West Virginia...on a Navy base (um, it's a land-locked state, folks--pretty tough for the ships to dock there!)...participating in a Seder led by my husband. Actually, participating in a Seder led by Jeff? That is something I could have predicted. But the other stuff never crossed my mind!

However, Saturday evening, we indeed found ourselves in a beautiful area of our western neighboring state for Passover; and we had a fantastic weekend! Our hosts, Kenny and Sheryl, were INCREDIBLE! Jeff had gotten to know Kenny, a chaplain in the Navy, through the barbershop (where else?--Kenny is very regular with haircuts!). So Kenny arranged for us to spend the weekend on their base and for Jeff to lead the Seder and preach the next morning. Their hospitality was overwhelming. They provided:

~ a gorgeously-decorated cabin for us to stay in
~ a ton of snacks in our cabin, more than we could even consume during our stay there (including some Klondike bars...a huge favorite of mine, but something which I had not indulged in for quite a while...oh my goodness, they were yummy!)
~ a delicious dinner Saturday evening in a restaurant on base
~ ALL the preparation for the events Saturday night and Sunday morning (we didn't have to do a thing but show up!)
~ TLC for our boys (arranged childcare and informal caretaking)
~ an interesting tour of the base by Kenny while Sheryl took care of David while he got out some of his energy on a playground
~ an outstanding example of parenting as we saw the fruit of their labor in their youngest son (the only one still at home)...I could not believe how friendly and mature he is!
~ inspiring fellowship with other followers of God
~ and a big stack of books to bring home with us (on marriage, faith, etc.) that I can hardly wait to read!

Back when Jeff and Kenny were originally planning this, I was not at all sure that I would want to go with the three boys. Spending a night away from home (and familiar beds for the boys)? No thanks. Having to care for all 3 boys by myself while Jeff taught/preached? I don't think I'm up to that. (Which, by the way, didn't even happen, since there were plenty of helpers with childcare!) But after I emerged from my postpartum fog, I realized that I did want to attempt it; and I actually started getting excited about it. I am SO GLAD I got to go. I would not have wanted to miss it for anything.

For one thing, I LOVE watching and listening to Jeff as he teaches and preaches and interacts with people. He is so gifted in this way, and I'm often amazed by him.

For another thing, it's way too easy for my mind to get in a rut of only focusing on the Christians immediately surrounding me--and usually, worshipping God in much the same way I do. I seem to need constant reminders that, yes, in Sugar Grove, people are gathering to worship God together with as much devotion (or more) as my peace-loving Mennonite church is doing. I need to remember that in San Diego and Pennsylvania and British Columbia and Israel and Australia--and an infinite number of other places around the globe--God's name is being lifted up and His followers are striving to know Him and serve Him more fully. Lord, help my mind to get out of this narrow box...and to likewise release You from the parameters I seem to set up continually--not that they could contain You anyway! You are so much bigger--than me...than my congregation...than this country...than anything I could ever imagine!
~ Jeff and Josiah celebrating Passover (aren't they handsome?)...Josiah had the option of going with some other children to play during the Seder, but he chose to stay with us...as the youngest child present (except Tobin), he had the privilege of looking for the afikomen...he did a great job and listened attentively the whole time
~ Kenny and Josiah, in their Jewish garb...actually, Kenny borrowed this from Jeff just for this picture :)
~ Kenny and Sheryl...I'm actually jealous of Jeff that he's had the opportunity to get to know them so much better than I, through Kenny's frequent trips to the barbershop...Kenny and Sheryl are the kind of people with whom you'd just like to spend gobs more time!
~ Kenny and Jeff
~ Tobin, asleep in our cabin late Saturday night...this portable bed in which he's sleeping is the bed that David used for the first 5 months of his life (during the last few months of our time in Israel, then our trip to England, then our time in California, then our driving trip across the country until we finally arrived in Virginia and David got to sleep in a real crib!)...this little bed has certainly come in handy many times!...Tobin did great, by the way...he fell asleep on his own in this bed, just like he does here at home; and he slept through the night with no problems...the only hard thing with him was that he didn't get his regular naps on Saturday and Sunday, and I could tell he was so tired and a little fussy because of that...but that's to be expected with such a departure from normal routine and environment!
~ on Sunday morning, after the service, there was a potluck that we enjoyed with the church there; and Kenny kindly offered to hold Tobin while I got my food...I used to never say yes to offers like this, but I'm realizing that it's a really good thing when people offer and I accept :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome way to spend passover. Sounds like you had a great time!

BTW love the new pictures of the boys! They are so cute...

New Mom said...

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip. As far as celebrating the Passover, I know we aren't doing it exactly as it should be done. You guys did a much better job! We need to look into that more. This is our first year commemorating it, and basically we just ate a meal, trying to keep it close to what the Bible stated that they ate, and read about God's deliverence from the Egyptians. I liked being able to share the experience with Elon, and I'm sure we'll do it again next year.

Michelle said...

I can't believe YOU have a Tobin also! I have never heard of ANYONE having that name before except husband's older brother. (Tobin passed away in a car accident when my husband was 10 years old, so we named our little one in honor of him.) That is so great! I get alot of compliments as I'm sure you do also :) May God bless you, your family and your lil' TOBIN!!!!!!!! Nice to meet you :)