Sunday, April 13, 2008

Three Months

It's official: Tobin is one-quarter of a year old.

When we weighed and measured him yesterday, he was 12 pounds, 11 ounces, and 24 and 1/2 inches long. I've yet to mark that in his baby book and plot his growth on the growth charts I've pasted there, but I have a feeling that he will fall fairly close to the middle of average.

Tobin continues to reap lots of compliments about what a sweet baby he is...and, from the nursery workers at our church, about what an easy little fellow he is. One of the women today, who took care of him for the first time, said when I picked him up, "If all babies were this easy, it would be great!" :)

Tobin's most communicative time recently has been when he's on the changing table in his room. That is when he almost always looks directly at me, smiles, and "talks." We have honest-to-goodness back-and-forth conversations with each other. I speak English, and he speaks babble...but that doesn't stop us from connecting! It's one of my favorite things these days (and makes me actually look forward to changing his diaper!). I treasure those times.

Within the past day or so, I happened to pay attention to a picture in the boys' room of Josiah when he was about a month and a half old. It reminded me so much of Tobin that I had to do a double take. I think our babies all have a certain look that is very similar to each other; and then as they get older, they develop a much more individual look. Beyond that, I still can't figure out who Tobin looks like! :)

Tobin isn't bald yet, but he is beginning to lose his hair. He's got very dry skin on his scalp and face; and when I comb through his hair to remove the flakes, pieces of hair fall out, too. Based on our other boys, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he lost all his hair...and then new hair in a completely different color grew in. We shall see...

Speaking of dry scalp, anybody have any good suggestions for how to deal with it? I thought it was a temporary condition, so I massaged some baby oil into it and then combed through it, thinking that after a time or two of that, the problem would be solved. I removed LOTS of dry skin, but voila, more appeared. And keeps appearing. What to do?

Even as I mention that, I realize that is NOTHING to worry about. Just this afternoon, I read about one of my blogging friends needing to take her baby Callie to the hospital. It hit very close to home because Callie was born shortly after Tobin was, so it was easy to imagine myself in her mama Crystal's shoes. I say "easy," but honestly, I can't imagine what they're going through. It hits my heart, brings tears to my eyes, and makes me cry out to God for them. For others of you reading this, please pray for them as well.
~ wearing a cute, snuggly, so-soft, bunny outfit from his Uncle David and Aunt Lori
~ with a huge grin...after my earlier wailings about "he doesn't smile!", you can imagine how filled with joy I am when I see him with such a happy face
~ time to do a little chewing...this has been near the top of his to-do list recently: chew on fist...interestingly enough, he chews on his right fist and sucks his left thumb...I've never seen him do the opposite

3 comments:

Foxy5 said...

Oh, that smiling little face!! What a precious little guy. It's a good thing this is a computer because he's the kind of cute that makes me just want to give him a squeeze. :)

Misty said...

I'm not sure what totell you about the dry skin. Elissa has it a little bit and Trinity always has. It is hard to tell through all her hair but she still has what looks like cradle cap! Her pediatrician told me to use a little dandruff shampoo on her and it seems to help but I would imagine Tobin is a little young for that.

That is funny about him sucking on one thimb and chewing the opposite fist. Elissa sucks on her right forearm all the time - I've never seen a baby do that before. (Not her thumb, just her her arm and REALLY HARD!!) She has a little bruise where she sucks in the same spot all the time!

Bonnie said...

He is just so sweet! Actually, in the first picture, I see a lot of you in his smile.
When Brady had cradle cap(but really more dry skin around his face) the doctor told me to use a tiny bit of dandruff shampoo (obviously being careful around his eyes), and it cleared right up.
However, I wonder if rubbing his head with a little sugar might work, since it used as an exfoliator. Just a thought.