Thursday, April 17, 2008

Three on Thursday

David, our joyful little David, is three years old today. It's unbelievable how he has grown from this little baby...
...to this big boy. I'm so proud of him. He brings such joy to our family!
Because we had a small group meeting tonight, we actually had our family birthday celebration for David last evening. Here he is looking at his gift from Josiah: a dot-to-dot book. This was the first time that Josiah had "given" a gift to David (or anyone else, really); but after this past Christmas when I saw how obsessed Josiah was with getting, I came to the realization that I could help him learn the art of giving by having him be involved with choosing gifts for people for various occasions. Rather than him not even knowing what we were giving David until the gifts were opened (like last year), this time Josiah shared the excitement of thinking about what to give him, going to the store, choosing it, wrapping it, and being eager for David to open it. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I do think it really helped Josiah to have a good attitude...and to see how much fun it can be to give.
~ David with a Punchinello movie, "You Are Mine"
~ when I asked David what kind of birthday cake he wanted, he said, "PEACH PIE!"...so I tried a new recipe for peach pie (since I had not made a peach pie for years) and was thrilled with it...David ate maybe two bites of it, and that's all...I have no idea why he asked for peach pie, and then didn't eat it! :)...he was excited about blowing out the candle though, and managed to do it by himself after a few tries (and after he pulled the pie closer to himself)...fortunately at our small group meeting tonight, Robin had made a chocolate cake and had put 3 candles on it for David's birthday, so he got some "real" birthday cake tonight!...actually, having pie for a birthday is not unheard of in our family, because for the past 2 years, I've asked for a grape pie for my birthday...maybe that's why David did it
~ Josiah was so eager to help David with his dot-to-dot book last night...for the most part, he was an EXCELLENT little teacher for David...it was sweet to see them working together :)

Another highlight of our day today was going to visit our friends, the Myers, and having lunch with them which was really fun. Because I KNOW David will want to know this info in 30 years, I'll just mention that today was the first day that he went anywhere in underwear. That's right, folks, we made it through a trip to the library and then to the Myers' home with no accidents. He went to the bathroom twice at the Myers' and kept his underwear dry...wahoo!!!!!!

At small group tonight, I was talking with my friend Amy, and she said that the journaling she does for her boys isn't really for them: it's for their future wives. :) So, along the same line as that, I'm sure David's future wife will love knowing all the details of his potty training! :)

4 comments:

New Mom said...

Happy Birthday David, and congratulations on your dry drawers ;}

Hmmm, I've never heard of grape pie, what kind of grapes do you use?

Marie said...

Happy Birthday David!! The peach pie sounds really delicious!

Davene said...

New Mom, we use concord grapes for our pies. We have a grapevine here, and it's fun to use our own grapes for it. I think grape pie is a Pennsylvania tradition; that's where my mother is from. It's scrumptious! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your dear little boy turning three! It's just the nicest age, I think!