Saturday, April 12, 2008

Josiah

Another display of Lisa's talent... One of the things I love about this picture (besides the fact that it shows Josiah's thoughtful, sensitive side) is that I can see the freckles lightly sprinkled on his nose and cheeks. I'm crazy about his freckles. :)

Would you like to know the latest reason that I'm proud of Josiah? :) Tonight Jeff was watching a movie downstairs on our computer (since we don't have a TV), and Josiah and David wanted to be with him so they were snuggling together and watching the movie, too. I don't remember the name of the movie...something about big storms and the end of the world...but it was a little scary, especially for young boys who don't realize how unrealistic a lot of that stuff is! And Josiah--well, that boy got up and left the room and came up to the kitchen where I was and sat on my lap and told me that he was scared and asked if he could cry on my lap. He ended up not crying, but we did talk for a while about the movie and what he had seen in it that scared him and what pictures were stuck in his mind and how to deal with them. I wondered if he would have a hard time going to sleep tonight because of it, but he was tired enough that he must have fallen asleep quickly because I haven't heard a peep out of him since I tucked him in.

But here's why I'm so proud of him. I remember a time when I was watching a movie and should have walked out, but didn't. I was with friends from youth group, and we were watching Silence of the Lambs. It terrified me. I don't even want to think about it or write about the fears that plagued me for years (literally) after watching it; but all I'll say is that I KNEW I should have left, but stupidly I gave into peer pressure to stay. With Josiah's situation tonight, he didn't have a group of friends surrounding him and putting peer pressure on him, but he sure does love his daddy and wants to be with him as much as possible. So I know that it was a big step for him to realize that he needed to stop watching and then to leave the room. (Interestingly enough, David stayed, and didn't seem to be bothered in the least by the movie. It's so hard to predict sometimes how a particular movie or book or conversation will affect each child.) Anyway, Josiah's strong character--though it baffles me sometimes--paid off tonight! :)

3 comments:

Bek said...

i love how you note all the seemingly-little things your boys do that make you proud. it is such a precious mother's heart and it rubs off!

Unknown said...

Goodness -- I was just over at Lisa's site and didn't realise these photos were of your boys! They are lovely -- she has captured them beautifully. It's so lovely that you notice the special nuances in each boys' character (what will Tobin be like, I wonder?).

Christin said...

I SO remember that movie (SOTL) and our talk afterwards about how we were both scared and wanted to leave.
I HATE that movie. and everytime I even hear it mentioned, it makes me sick. Even all these years later. Crazy.

Obviously movies leave lasting impressions on our spirits and minds. And I'm so proud that Josiah knew that it was effecting him so he left. he's a leader, that kid.

xo