Tuesday, April 1, 2008

32

In honor of my 32nd birthday today, I took some time this morning to rummage around and dig up some old family photos. My mother, bless her heart, didn't have time to keep them neatly organized in albums by the time I, her fourth child, came along. But she did do a good job of writing the date on the back of most of the pictures I found, so I'm impressed about that! :)

As I revealed last year in this blog, I'm not the slightest bit reluctant to reveal my age...which is a good thing, because my dad announced it to the whole congregation at the end of our service on Sunday. :) 32 feels good to me!

~ my brother David and I on April 4, 1976...I was 3 days old, and he was almost 2 years old
~ me as a one year-old
~ fall 1978...2 and 1/2 years old
~ family picture in November 1980...4 years old
~ with my brother David in 1982 or 1983...he was my best buddy growing up
~ my sister Donna, brother Doug, me, and brother David in 1993 on the day of my high school graduation
**********
As I looked through these pictures, a few thoughts came to my mind. For one thing, how could I help but notice the blaring characteristics of the various decades: the orange carpet and crazy wallpaper of the 70's, for example? :) Secondly, as I look at the pictures of when I was young, I thought, "How can that be me? I don't remember being that girl!" :)
**********
I've always thought we should honor the mothers in a special way when one of their children has a birthday, since the moms are the ones who did the hard work! :) And the dads are also responsible for creating and nurturing life. So to my parents, a big thank you on this day for having me and raising me in such a loving, secure environment. You're the best!

11 comments:

Marie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your 32nd Birthday! I hope it is a blast!!!!!!

Kristy said...

Happy 32nd, Davene! I love how you embrace your age. Today is my sister's birthday, too. I always thought it would be fun to be born on April Fool's Day.

JFisher777 said...

Happy Birthday my love! I am so glad I have been able to celebrate over a decade of birthdays with you! I look forward to the years to come, and am grateful that God gave "me" a gift on your birthday!

Misty said...

Happy Birthday, Davene! Love the pictures!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing your walk down memory lane with us.

Christin said...

hahaha...oh I SO remember that younger Davene. Fun times. And oh my goodness...if you and David didn't look, as kids, just like you do now!!! ...well, at least in my head. ;)

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Davene! I love the old photos! What a cutie.;-)

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday, Davene!!! My husband sure enjoyed looking at these pictures...he remembers those people. ;-) Hope your day has been beautiful, just like you.

Elizabeth said...

Ahhh Happy Birthday Davene!

What a gift you are to this earth! Raising strong, healthy, patriotic boys! Your influence is far and wide! I love all your thoughts and happenings of the day. Thank you for your devotion to our Lord in serving him through your children!

=) Happy Birthday!

Bek said...

happy bday
i love the idea of thanking your parents on your birthday! :)

Lisa and Keith said...

thanks for posting the "old" photos! they were so neat to see! i'll have to tease my brother-in-law a little... :)
Happy Birthday!