Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Events of the Day

~ No birth...no indication of impending birth


~ The good news: David knows how to kiss now!!! I have wondered and wondered when he would start doing that; and this morning, while Josiah and I were playing the game Guess Who?, I realized that David had just kissed one of the cards. So I asked him to give me a kiss, and he did--just like that. Just as if he's always been doing it. :)


~ The bad news: our rabbit died. I have no idea why, since she didn't show any of the signs of the infection that killed off our other rabbits. And she certainly didn't freeze to death, since we've been having temperatures in the upper 60s this week. Who knows? Right now, she is lying in state in her enclosure, waiting for Jeff to bury her. At times like this, I sure am glad I'm not a single parent; it's nice to be able to tell the boys, "We'll let Daddy take care of that when he gets home." :) -- Another thought about pets dying: my mother and I were talking this afternoon about how it's actually been a good thing for our boys to learn about death through animals dying; it seems to ease them into the concept of death much more gracefully than if a dearly loved person in their life died suddenly and was therefore their first exposure to death.


~ I had a coupon for baby food so during our trip to the store today, I started stocking up--mindful of the fact that I won't actually be using any of it for about 5 or 6 more months--but still happy to save money. :) It was strange to be in the baby food aisle again. Are we really about to meet a real baby who will grow up and sit in a highchair and be fed rice cereal and delight in banging his spoon on the tray???


~ Josiah has an appointment with the dentist tomorrow, and he has been looking forward to it with great anticipation ever since I scheduled it. He LOVES going to the dentist--which says less about how remarkable Josiah is than it does about how remarkable this dentist and his staff are. We are blessed to be able to go to Dr. Greene. Anyway, Josiah has been a little concerned that if our baby is born tomorrow, he'll miss his appointment. He knows that when Mommy and Daddy and Grandma go to the hospital, if it's during the night, Grandpa will come and stay with him and David...and if it's during the day, our next-door neighbor Wilma (Old Order Mennonite) will take care of him and David. So today, Josiah's comment was, "Do you think Wilma knows where Dr. Greene's office is? Because I wouldn't mind going to my appointment in a horse and buggy!" :) For those of you unfamiliar with our town and our Dr. Greene, his office is very close to our mall, in a very developed part of town--NOT a place where I have ever seen a horse and buggy. (For those of you who are wondering how the Old Order Mennonites ever get to that part of town, they ride--in a car--with someone else.) So the image of Wilma pulling up in front of Dr. Greene's office in a horse and buggy made me smile today...and showed me again how eager my son is to go see the dentist!


~ One of Josiah and David's recent imaginative activities has been bringing their pillows down from upstairs, putting them under the bench in the kitchen, and pretending to sleep there. (Except David can't pronounce the "sl" sound yet, so he says "weep" there. He goes around the house and says things like, "I weep here," and "I don't like weepy time." Trust me, kiddo, I don't like weepy time either, but with these pregnancy hormones, I've had more of it in the last nine months than I would have liked!) Anyway, this spot under the bench seems to be some sort of base camp from which my mighty little hunters venture to hunt--what else?--dinosaurs!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love checking in on you, Davene, to see how you are doing. Katie prayed for you tonight during devotions. How cute to be buying baby food already. Yes, the time will fly once he's here...so just think that every day he stays inside is another that he'll stay little OUTSIDE. Does that make sense? The babies born on Sunday are already 3 days old and not barely hours old like yours will be when he decides to make his appearance and we hear about it. That's a quirky thought that I hang on to as the end draws near, and I'm getting tired of the waiting. ESPECIALLY if I have friends due at the same time that go before me. You still have a brand new baby to look forward to, and he'll be here before you know it!!!!

JFisher777 said...

The phrase, "The rabbit died," came to be a euphemism for a positive pregnancy test in the late 1920 and early 1930s. Around 1927 it was discovered that if you injected the urine of a pregnant woman into a rabbit, there would be corpora hemorrhagica in the ovaries of the rabbit. These bulging masses on the ovaries could not be seen with out killing the rabbit to inspect the ovaries, so invariably, every rabbit died, even if the woman wasn't pregnant.