Friday, January 11, 2008

This Boy!

As I near the end of this pregnancy, my brain seems stuck in some kind of time warp, completely unable to process the fact that my older children were once tucked securely inside me like this current baby is...and also unable to grasp the concept that this unborn boy will someday, Lord willing, actually grow up to walk and speak and play with dinosaurs and run around after his big brothers. I'm not sure how time can race and creep at the same time, but somehow that's exactly what it seems to do.

I've been enjoying looking through some old pictures recently which has added to my nostalgic pondering, and it's brought numerous smiles to my face to see and remember various moments from our family history. Take this picture above, for example: Josiah in March of 2005, 2 years old, posing in a Jewish graveyard across the street from our apartment in Tel Aviv. While we lived in Israel, Jeff and Josiah would go have fun wandering around this graveyard and exploring there. Jeff even used one of the larger tombs (the kind you actually enter) as his "prayer closet." At least, it was private! :)

And now, my little Josiah is such a big Josiah. How did it happen?

Recently he has made a few funny comments that I've managed to jot down. One was last night when Josiah asked Jeff, in all earnestness, "Daddy, was there electricity when you were born?" (Hmm, wonder how old he thinks Jeff is, anyway!) And today he and David were playing; and I heard Josiah say, "David, do you want me to throw the giraffe in your face or your tummy?" (Uh...maybe...neither!)

Tonight we are resurrecting our tradition of family nights, and this one will be in honor of Josiah. The big event will be going to the theater to see the new VeggieTales movie that's coming out which, I'm sure, will thrill the boys to no end. As far as dinner, right now Josiah is having a hard time deciding where we should go for that. Looks like a toss-up between IHOP and Waffle House. :)

As is our custom, we'll take turns sharing something we especially appreciate about the family night honoree; and I'll record that in a special journal we keep. I already know what I'm going to say about Josiah. Recently, I have noticed how sensitive he is when I'm extra tired or in pain. He could be acting up like a madman; but when he realizes that I'm hurting or something is wrong with me, he changes gears and becomes the sweetest, most attentive 5 year-old I could ever imagine. One rough night when I collapsed in bed early, he wanted me to have both his teddy bears--all night long--to help me feel better. And he cuddled up so closely beside me and wanted to put his arm around me to comfort me. I could hardly breathe from all his comfort! :) But I loved it.

Another time that comes to mind is when we went to the Christmas tree farm to get our tree back in December. (I forget if I already wrote this. If it's a repeat, oh, well...) Of course, I was lagging behind Jeff and the boys as we walked up a hill; and Josiah was the one to come back with me and keep me company and make sure I was OK.

Josiah is kind of like a sheepdog--always wanting to make sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing and making sure everyone is accounted for and safe. Sometimes in his zeal, he goes a little overboard with this. :) But I surely am grateful for his soft, willing heart to take care of people, especially his mama!

(By the way, I mentioned this in a comment I left on the last post...but I am, once again, incredibly grateful for the comments and emails that were sent as a result of my last post. You helped me regain my equilibrium and positive outlook, after I felt like I had completely fallen over. Many heartfelt thanks!)

2 comments:

Bek said...

the family nite sounds fun - enjoy yourself! last moments with just the 4 of you!! :)

and the giraffe in your face or tummy line made me lol! :)

still here too....:)waiting patiently

Julie said...

Fun family night! I think it's a great idea to get OUT tonight with your family. Somehow movies seem to help the time pass faster and are a good distraction (even the vegetable pirate kind). I've seen my fair share at the end of pregnancies.

Maybe there is a special bond between a mom and her firstborn son. My first boy is the same way...even at 13. Definitely not a "mama's boy" but very attentive to my feelings/needs, quick with a hug or affirming word if he sees me tired or discouraged(shhhh, don't tell...it's in the privacy of our home...I'm still learning teenage boy/mom etiquette in public!).

Anyway, Josiah is a great boy...I know this firsthand...and you and Jeff are great parents. Have a wonderful family night! I'm off to hang out with my sweetie for the weekend!!!

(But I WILL be checking in on you!)