Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Dreaming about...Planting Peas???

Spring is right around the corner! At least, the fact that our daytime temperatures were mostly in the 50's last week made that seem true. (We won't talk about how cold it currently is!)

With the arrival of spring comes the arrival of--gardening! Oh, bliss! As a child, I had the "opportunity" to help in the garden--like it or not! But as I get older, I find that I actually love it; and each year, I seem to be more and more eager to get my fingers in the dirt and help things grow.

This morning on our way to visit my great-aunt Lorraine, my mother and I stopped at a local hardware store to buy some seeds. You would not believe how giddy we were about this! We got seeds for peas, corn, green beans, lettuce, spinach, radishes, sunflowers, zinnias, other flowers that I'm drawing a blank on now, as well as onion sets and seed potatoes...probably other things, too, but that's all I can think of now...oh, I remember--beets--but Mother promised that she and Dad would eat all of those and I wouldn't have to! :)

A few nights ago, I was telling Jeff how eager I was to plant some peas and how much fun I was having simply dreaming about it; and he affectionately told me how crazy he thought I was. :) Well, he can laugh...and remind me in hot July and August how eager I was to plant this garden that needs watered and weeded and mulched and potato bugs picked off the plants and corn harvested and beans canned and tomato plants de-suckered, etc.

Our garden last year was basically a disaster. We'll blame that on the move! But this year...ah, this year...my hopes are high!

No comments: