Friday, March 9, 2007

Exquisite Agony

Last night, after a difficult conversation with two people I love very much, I picked up a book by Gene Edwards, Exquisite Agony, subtitled Healing for Christians who have been hurt by other Christians. We've had this book for a while, but I've never felt compelled to read it before. Now however, as we go through an extremely challenging situation, it seems appropriate.

Here's a quote from the book...
"Every crucifixion contains certain characteristics common to all crucifixions: Rejection. Pain. Unfairness. Rumor. Innuendoes. More pain. Misunderstanding. Demeaning. Belittling. Loss of reputation. Loss of friends. Often, there is excommunication. The loss of all things."

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. One of the unique aspects of this situation is that even while I feel pain inflicted on me, I know for sure that I am also inflicting pain on others. That hurts the most, and my heart aches for an easy solution but finds none.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Come, we that love the Lord,
And let our joys be known,
Join in the song with sweet accord,
Join in the song with sweet accord,
And thus surround the throne, and thus surround the throne.

We're marching to Zion,
Beautiful, beautiful Zion.
We're marching upward to Zion,
That beautiful city of God.

Then Let our songs abound,
and every tear be dry.
We're marching through Immanuel's ground,
We're marching through Immanuel's ground,
To fairer worlds on high,
To fairer worlds on high.

We're marching to Zion,
Beautiful, beautiful Zion.
We're marching upward to Zion,
That beautiful city of God!

Just remember that we are marching along that path together. We are there for each other. That's what the body is all about. We are not all at the same place necessarily, but we are all under the blood of Christ alone and should be encouraging each other to stay on the path according to the Spirit's direction. Christ is our only hope, our life, our strength. He is working His will and will complete the good work that He has begun in us. I am praying for you!!!!

Keep on marching!!!!

Davene said...

Thanks, Julie! You are unfailingly encouraging to me. I'm so grateful for the time to spend with you last evening. You're right...we are still marching, with a wonderful goal ahead of us! Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Davene,

I did get some idea of what situation you refer to from Jeff's sharing with me through email. We want you to know that we love you guys and feel sure you are making a good decision under the circumstances. Our hearts go out to you all.

Keith and Mischel

Davene said...

Thank you so much, Keith. This is new territory for me...and I find myself navigating blindly at times...one moment, marching along confident in God's leading...another moment, aching and missing my friends. Through it all, we have felt so supported by you and Mischel, and we're unspeakably grateful for that!