Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tuesday's Gratitude List

Before I write anything else tonight, I want to go back to the basics and do one of the quickest, easiest, most foundational attitude tune-ups imaginable--write 5 things for which I'm grateful. (Not that I'm having a bad attitude right now--on the contrary, I actually feel quite cheerful. But I still think it's a good idea!) In a book I was reading last night, I read about how author Donna Otto did this simple exercise every day for a year. Wow, that's a lot of gratitude! I think I'll start off by doing it for a week. :)

So, here's the list...

I'm Grateful For...

1. the beautiful pink hyacinth that is blooming by the fringe tree in front of my dad's office...for my birthday last year, Jeff gave me two fringe trees; and we planted one in front of the office and one in front of my parents' house...last fall, I planted some hyacinth bulbs in a circle around each tree; and now they have sprung up, and the first flower has bloomed!...that's some delayed gratification--to plant in the fall, wait all winter, then see the blossom in the spring...as much as I love gardening, I still feel a little insecure about it all, so to see something that I bought and planted all by myself actually survive and do well is definitely encouraging! :)

2. some great comments from Josiah today...before dinner, he announced that Moses is his favorite character from the Bible (it's true--he's infatuated with Moses!)...and then at bedtime, I asked him to pray a little and thank God for one thing, then I would pray after him...he didn't argue with me, but was perfectly willing to do what I asked...he prayed, "God, thank You for my parents"...in the past, he has been somewhat reluctant to pray aloud, so this was a small victory tonight...and I think I will continue this tradition with him each night as I tuck him in bed

3. the wonderful warm spring weather we've been having!

4. the fact that the grass all over is actually green again!!! (I even saw two people out mowing their lawns today!)

5. Jeff's amazing day and all the spiritually-focused conversations he was able to have because of his deep passion for God

You know, this is so much fun that I just can't quit. I thought of another thing to be grateful for...

6. David's speech development...he has been significantly late to develop speech, even to the point of us considering having him evaluated to see what we could do to make up for his delay in this area...but today he was saying new words and sounds left and right!...here are some words he said for the first time today: wow, bubble, water, boat...and he did a great job of imitating Josiah growling like a bear...it's such a relief to see him advancing in this way...this has been a specific prayer request of mine, so a great big thank you goes to God for this one (and all of the wonderful things on my list)!!!

No comments: