Tuesday, March 6, 2007

An Easter Story

What's being sick without simultaneously reading a book? A waste of time!!!

Every time I'm sick, I reach for an easy-read book to help me pass the time until I feel better and can get back to normal life. This past week when I was sick for a day was no exception...although most of the time during those 24 hours, I was too sick to even feel interested in reading or care to hold a book in front of my face--highly unusual behavior for me! I did, however, pick the book An Easter Story by Elizabeth Yates off the shelf and start reading it. It is a short book, very quick reading, enjoyable (though a bit...um, what should I say?...overly fanciful...maybe even melodramatic?). On the positive side, it did get me looking forward to Easter--and reflecting on the significance of it!

Here's one quote from it that I particularly liked: None of us can ever say how we will act until we are put to a test. When that time comes, our act is no sudden thing but a sum of all we have been doing, living, being, up to that moment. When I read that, I thought in particular of the morning of the robbery and Jeff's instant response of helping our neighbor while putting his own life in danger. In a situation like that, thoughts race at the speed of light; but there is really no chance to deliberately and thoughtfully assess the case and determine the best course of action. The response is automatic; and because Jeff's life is built on principles of love, giving, and self-sacrifice, his reaction exemplified those characteristics. Once again, I've just gotta say how proud I am of him!

No comments: