Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thank God for Wednesdays

A while back, I wrote about how much I love Mondays. Well, I also love Wednesdays for one good reason--Jeff has the day off on Wednesdays! Wednesdays are also one of Josiah's favorite days because he loves the extra Daddy time; he seems to think of every day of the week in reference to Wednesdays and Sundays, Jeff's days off. For example...

Josiah: What day is it?
Me: Thursday
Josiah: Then comes what?
Me: Friday
Josiah: Then what?
Me: You know!
Josiah: Saturday...then Sunday, and Daddy has the day off!!!

Anyway, yesterday was a great day of being together as a family and getting some things done. Like what? Well, like...

~ breaking twigs for kindling off a big pile of branches in our pasture
~ carrying wood from the woodshed to our porch
~ measuring and marking where we're going to plant some new trees
~ taking recycling to the recycling center
~ going to a local plant center to buy magnolia trees for me for my birthday
~ buying some paint at Home Depot
~ taking ink cartridges back to Staples to recycle them
~ painting the rabbit cage (Josiah helped Jeff with this one)
~ painting an old picnic table and benches (another Jeff job)
~ unpacking some boxes from the garage

I found some wonderful items in the boxes. One was an iron! Imagine, we now have an iron! We have survived without one for the past year and a half, only borrowing my parents' iron a few times...obviously, ironing is not high on my list of enjoyable household chores! But it is nice to have an iron now.

Another thing was a pair of gloves for me. The timing of this discovery was wonderful because just last weekend at the Maple Festival, I lost one of my gloves there. Well, one glove without its match is not much good, so I was really happy to find a pair in the box last night.

I also found a mesh sweater bag for washing sweaters and delicates in one of the boxes I unpacked...which was also perfect timing because just this past Monday as I was doing our laundry, our old sweater bag became unusable--broken zipper and big holes in the mesh.

One last thrilling find for me was some of my old recipes! I had not been able to find my recipe book that had various hand-written or clipped recipes from various sources, and there were certain foods that I wanted to make but couldn't remember how to do it. It was so much fun to sit down last night with that old recipe book (and also a recipe box bulging with recipes) and look through them to see some old favorites. I'm excited about cooking some beloved yummy dishes again!

No comments: