Sunday, March 25, 2007

Where I've Been


I've had a good reason for abandoning my blog for the past few days... I was involved in the EMHS Touring Choir Reunion celebrating 25 years of Jay Hartzler's leadership of the choir. Wow, what a fantastic weekend!!! It was so much fun that I hardly know how to put it into words. But I'll try... :)

Some highlights:
~ the music!--I am really speechless now...but it's a good speechless...what can I say? being involved in making that kind of music fills part of my soul that has been empty for a long time
~ seeing old friends and catching up on their lives--it was so good to see people that I haven't seen for years...I only wish more people had been able to come! (but then, how would we have ever fit on the stage???)...to hear the various pursuits of my old friends (whether career, marriage, children, or whatever) was so interesting...it was also interesting how many of the reunion participants have lived abroad and/or been involved in some kind of service/mission work
~ honoring Mr. Hartzler--the quality of his musical leadership, the level of integrity in his personal life, the depth of his concern for his students, and his focus on worship, not simply performance, all stand out
~ realizing how much I've grown since high school--during Friday night's activity, there was an open mic for anyone who wished to share words of affirmation with Mr. Hartzler...I was happy to have that opportunity so I went up to the front and spoke for a bit...some of my friends remarked later that I NEVER would have done that in high school (too shy)...they're exactly right!...but the years have changed me...I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin and so much more confident in who I am in God's sight first and then in the eyes of others
~ evaluating my life and being grateful that my life is my life!--as I spoke with other people who were able to pursue some of the dreams that I had but did not pursue (mostly, higher education and advanced careers in music), instead of fretting and wishing that my life was different, I felt so grateful and peaceful and secure in this life that God has given me...if I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing: I would study at the college I chose, I would marry the man I did (a million times yes!), and I would essentially live my life exactly how I have done (as far as major life decisions go)
~ singing hymn 118/606 to close out the weekend--it brought tears to my eyes...I hope when we get to heaven, we sing that hymn before the throne of God! :)

I am so very grateful for the opportunity to be involved in the reunion--and for all the people who worked so hard to make it happen--and to Jeff and my parents who sacrificed their time and energy to pick up extra duties on the home front so I could attend--and I'm especially thankful that I live close enough to be able to participate in events like these!



2 comments:

AndrewZ said...

Singing 606/118 was a highlight for me as well. I calculated that in TC we sang 7-8 hours per week (inlcuding practices)...learned 25 songs (10 more if you're in Chamber Choir) in 6-8 weeks, performed them and later memorized...it's alot of work. I'm finally coming off my "high" from the weekend. It was truly an experience. - ajz.

Davene said...

Andrew, you're so funny...such a numbers guy! It's a good thing you're an accountant! I probably never would have calculated this like you did. :)