Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wednesday's Gratitude List

I know...I know...today is Thursday, not Wednesday (and if I stay up much later, it will actually be Friday)...but I didn't get to post a gratitude list yesterday, so here are some things from yesterday for which I am very grateful!

1. Tree planting--for the past two years for my birthday, I have asked Jeff for trees...last year, we got two fringe trees...and this year, we got four magnolia trees. Yesterday morning, Jeff showed me love through acts of service, and he did the hard work of digging the holes for my trees. Then I got the fun part: actually planting them. :) It was such a beautiful day--so good for my soul to dig around in the dirt and be part of the process of growth and beauty and new life--so much fun to be outside together as a family and work together on a fun project. The trees are quite short right now; but as my neighbor Wilma said, "Isn't it fun to imagine how they will look in 20 years?" Planting trees definitely requires long-term vision. :)

2. My first riding lesson--I have always loved horses, and learning how to care for them and how to ride has been a dream of mine for a very long time. Recently I kind of "woke up" and realized that there's no better time than now to pursue this dream...it's not going to get easier in the future! And Jeff generously agreed that I could start taking lessons. There is a stable just up the road from us where I can go for lessons, and my teacher is very nice. I had such fun yesterday and managed to brush the horse without him kicking me and ride the horse without falling off! Of course, he was only walking so it wasn't much of an accomplishment, but still exciting for me!!! :)

3. Our wonderful neighbors--I can't say enough good things about the Shanks. I am eternally grateful to God for giving them to us as neighbors!

4. The sustaining friendship of Bob and Cindy--we enjoyed a delicious dinner at their house last evening, and we felt our souls refreshed by our conversation with them. Their hearts to simply pursue God are amazing, and their maturity and wisdom are treasured by us.

5. The joy of doing honest hard work, getting all hot and sweaty, then coming inside and taking a shower and putting on clean clothes

No comments: