Thursday, March 22, 2007

Playing Chess with God

Josiah LOVES to play games. And if there's no one around that will play with him, he's content to play games with God. Yes...that's right...God. Josiah is especially fond of playing chess with God or checkers...slapjack is a little harder when you're playing against an invisible competitor!...but Josiah is great at moving pieces for both himself and God when playing chess or checkers. The funny thing is--God always loses!

I'm grateful that the idea of God is so real to Josiah that he can connect with Him as a person. I'm sure one day Josiah will question God's existence...I think almost all of us go through some kind of a questioning phase as we grow up...but for now, I'm happy to sit back and watch Josiah play chess with God.

I wonder if God will ask for a rematch from Josiah when he gets to heaven? After all, it must be pretty tough on God to lose all these chess games! :)

2 comments:

JFisher777 said...

Last night Josiah told me God won, and then he said it was a tie... upon which I told him that in chess we call that a draw. So he said he had a draw with God. Many great men of the past have wrestled with God. Jacob seemed to have a draw, except for the misplaced shank bone. Abraham seemed to win with his resuce with Lot.

Anonymous said...

Very cute. It reminds me of just the other day when Trinity blamed the scribbles in her picture Bible on God. I asked her, "who drew that?" To which she replied very matter of factly, "God wrote on that page." Not exactly what I meant when I told her that the Bible was written by God! With a little more prodding she eventualy did admit to the fact that she was the one who did it :). But I also enjoy knowing that God is as real to Trinity as her brother is (as he is usually the scapegoat!)