Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

Josiah and I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by dressing alike (green shirts and khaki pants) and attending a Soup and Arts Fest at my alma mater. We feasted on all kinds of gourmet soup donated by area restaurants, delicious bread, yummy desserts...then we wandered around looking at a number of displays of art by the students there (quite impressive!) and watched a demonstration of pottery-making...then watched a performance of Charlotte's Web by a group of student actors. Josiah knows the story of Charlotte's Web so he stayed intrigued during the whole performance.

It was a fabulous evening. I had so much fun with him, my little date! It was refreshing to simply focus on him and not be distracted by anything else...and really fun to just talk with him and relate to him as an interesting person, not my son whom I simply need to watch out for and discipline if he misbehaves! :) It was our best mommy/son date yet.

At the end of Charlotte's Web, Charlotte dies, after she lays her eggs. That part made Josiah emotional; and as I was tucking him into bed last night, he tearfully said, "You'll always be my mommy!" I assured him that, yes, I would always be his mommy--and he would always be my son--and I would always love him. And then he told me that he doesn't want me to ever die. What do you say to that??? Of course, we assume that I'll be around for a long time...but sometimes mommies do die young. Only God knows when I'll die, but I tried to assure Josiah that when that day comes, God will help Josiah to be strong enough to bear it. It was a longer discussion than I'm writing here... A tough conversation with no easy answers, but for me so heart-warming to feel so loved!

While Josiah and I were away having fun, Jeff and David were having a great time together here at home. Jeff was introducing David to the joys of Starfall (www.starfall.com)-- a fantastic educational site--and David was loving it! It looks like David is going to have the whole alphabet learned before he starts really talking! If he learns to read before he learns to talk, we'll just get by with communicating that way, I guess. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've created a monster!. After reading about starfall.com I decided to let Trinity play around with it. It is really great. She knows all her uppercase letters and what sounds they make but it is really helping her with her lowercase letters. The problem is, she wants to do it all the time! Since the computer is in our living room she is constantly reminded of it and asks all the time!. By the way, I think it is so adorable that you take Josiah on dates. I can't wait to do things like that with Houston.