Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Dog's Life

One of my aunts forwarded this email to me; and although I virtually never forward emails like this (I am the weakest link, so if you're worried about bad luck associated with breaking the chain, don't send something to me!), I decided to include this on my blog for two reasons. First, I had never read it before, and it's refreshing to see a forwarded email that I haven't already received a dozen times. And secondly, I've been reminding myself of a few things today: Jeff likes a happy wife...Jeff likes a relaxed wife...Jeff likes an affectionate wife...Jeff doesn't really care about dirty dishes, dirty laundry, dirty floors, etc...so remember what's important, Davene! :)

In the spirit of being happy, relaxed, and affectionate, here are some words of wisdom--from dogs...*

If a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
When it's in your best interest, practice obedience. (Don't tell my kids this one. They need to know it's always in their best interest to be obedient!) :)
Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back in the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout. Run right back and make friends.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

* Speaking of dogs, when I fed Molly this morning, Sweetie Pie, the calf that shares Molly's pasture, ambled over and started eating Molly's dog food, too!!! I had never heard of a calf who ate dog food! Molly didn't chase her off; they seemed to be sharing the bowl of food quite peaceably. When our neighbors were bottle-feeding Sweetie Pie when she was younger, Molly used to try to drink her formula...so I guess they share and share alike! Now if we catch Molly eating grass, we'll know our dog/calf partnership has really gone too far!

1 comment:

Christin said...

just so you know, our dog DOES eat grass. :)