Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's the Little Things

Here are some little (and not-so-little) things that I've been grateful for recently...

~ finding Vanilla Coke again in stores (this first came out when we lived in San Diego, and it quickly became my favorite soft drink...when we moved to Israel, I missed it a ton and would take as many cans back with me as I could whenever we returned to the States for a visit...while in Israel, I even received a package once with a few cans of it, sent by Jeff's wonderful sister; and counting the shipping, those were some expensive cans of soda!!!...after we moved back to the States, I once again enjoyed Vanilla Coke--until Coke stopped making it shortly after we returned!...how could they???...I was so sad...but just last week, I saw it again in the store and bought 5 bottles of it, all there were on the shelf...I think Coke must be making it again, and I'm thrilled!) :)
~ Jeff asking me late one night, "How big is our baby now?"
~ Jeff scrubbing a terribly greasy cast-iron skillet for me, when the combination of hot water and kosher salt I was using on it was pure agony for my hands (I don't have good skin on my hands, which is another story altogether...but suffice it to say that I was in such intense pain trying to clean that pan...Jeff's offer of help was heavenly!)
~ our neighbor bush-hogging our pasture (now we can actually see our dog again!) :)
~ hearing our baby's heartbeat for the first time (heard at my prenatal appointment on Tuesday...one funny thing about that appointment is that, after the midwife asked me how much Josiah and David weighed when born [7 lbs, 14 oz, and 6 lbs, 10 oz, respectively], she assured me that my pelvis is large enough to accommodate a baby "at least a pound and a half bigger than that!"...hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that...first of all, don't let the baby hear that he--or she, though it's so much more natural to refer to him as he--can grow well over 9 lbs!...and second, I don't feel really encouraged by her "compliment" that I have large hips!!!)

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi! I wanderd (sp?) over from- well, I don't remember where, but anyway, I've seen you comment on several blogs I visit, and keep meaning to look you up, so, here I am. My first baby was 9lbs. 4 oz. and my second 8lbs. 13oz. I've given up my dream of nice small babies.
I symapathize with your backhanded compliment of the hips. Just because I can accomidate a large baby doesn't mean I like to be reminded of it!

Julie said...

I think good childbearing hips are AWESOME! Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get my 10lb 4oz Kieran out. Not to start a "big baby" competition thread, though. I gave up on small babies awhile ago, as my body makes 8 1/2lb babies on average (Kieran largest, Caleb smallest at 7lb 4oz and 10 days early). Usually they come out looking a few weeks old!

We should be proud of our design and band together!!! I think you are beautiful!!! (from one "hippy" mama to another!)

Christin said...

Can I guess who said it? Was it Marty? It just sounds like something she would say for some reason. am I right? ;)

Glad to hear about Coke!! Apparently they finallly read all your complaint letters and got back to producing Vanilla coke for your local venders, eh? *grin*

Hugs to you, my preggie friend

Davene said...

Actually, it was Donna. :) I haven't met Marty yet. My next appointment will be with Ann because they want me to get to know everyone. So far everyone there is SO NICE...and that carries a lot of weight with me! Hee, hee...appropriate imagery, don't you think?! :)