Thursday, June 14, 2007

Overheard...

~ ...in a conversation that Josiah had this afternoon with our next-door neighbor (who will be 7 years old next month).

Josiah: You know what I want to be? A Mennonite. Cuz I like Old Order Mennonites, and I kind of feel like I am one. I know I'm not, but still...

Neighbor: You can be glad you're not one. I'm glad I am one, but you can be glad you're not!

~ ...in the bathtub a few nights ago.

Josiah (singing): Wade in the water. Wade in the water, children. Wade in the water. Oh-oh-oh, God's gonna trouble the water.

~ another tidbit about that wonderful kid: Josiah's latest burning question is why did God let all the dinosaurs die? Or more pointedly, why did God kill all the dinosaurs? My half-hearted suggestion that maybe it was so the dinosaurs wouldn't eat all the people didn't satisfy him, and he's determined to ask God about it when he gets to heaven.

2 comments:

Christin said...

Seriously, I think 4 year olds are God's way of saying "Mommy, have YOU read your Bible today? Because I'm getting ready to ask you all sorts of crazy questions that will stump you over and over and over again."

Davene said...

You're exactly right! Unfortunately, they don't always ask the "textbook" questions with "textbook" answers. If Josiah asks, "Does God love me?" I'm pretty quick at finding a verse that says yes. :) But the whole dinosaur thing...I don't know about that one. Keeps us on our toes, I guess!