Saturday, June 30, 2007

Week in Review

This is a sample of what our week has held:
~ Tuesday afternoon, the boys and I went swimming at our local public pool...we had a great time, until a thunderstorm threatened and the pool was closed...still, it was definitely a fun outing...Josiah is wearing one of those swimming suits with a flotation device inside it, though he still clung to me desperately when in the water...so did David...I felt like I had two little koala bear cubs hanging on me :)
~ on Friday my mother and I froze 21 pints of sour cherries...Josiah was a real helper with this (unlike when you let your child "help" you for training purposes, knowing full well that you could do it quicker and better by yourself!)...he got the messy job of filling the containers and did a fantastic job with it
~ Friday evening, we went to our local lawn party...the weather had been iffy all day, but we decided to go anyway...we managed to sit and eat some good fried food for dinner and then have time for Josiah to go on a few rides before the rain came...we decided to head home, but later in the evening Jeff and Josiah went back to the party for Josiah to go on more rides (we had gotten him one of those all-you-can-ride bracelets, and it seemed a shame to not get our money's worth out of it!...plus it's just such fun to see Josiah enjoy himself on those little rides)
Other highlights:
~ we just finished our second week of "official" kindergarten...so far, it's going really well!!!...recent conversations include Josiah asking me if I knew that 99 + 99 = 198...or that 30 + 30 + 20 + 20 = 100...or that 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 21...I can't take any credit for his math brains; I know it came from his daddy, and the other men in both sides of the family (my dad is good in math, my brother is a CPA, and my grandfather was a math major in college)
~ the BIG project of the week was finishing (well, sort of finishing) the redecorating of Josiah's room...it is now the "boys' room," not just Josiah's room, since we officially moved David into it from our little nursery room where he had been sleeping...Jeff did a ton of work in the boys' room, painting and putting up a border and moving furniture...his sickness last week put a big damper on the whole project, but this week he put in a lot of hours and energy, and it looks great!...I'm thrilled with how it's turning out!!!...however, I'm EAGER to get in there sometime when I have a block of time without little ones around because I need to re-organize, clean, move some of David's clothes over, etc.
~ it has been an adventure to see how David responds to his new room...he's been very excited about his "new bed" (which he loudly proclaims to the world)...but it is definitely different for him to be in a bed that he can crawl in and out of alone, rather than in a crib...and it's different for him to see Josiah in the room with him...it's hard to fall asleep when your buddy is lying there so close to you!...it's been taking him a LONG time to fall asleep, both at night and for naps...but overall, the transition is going well
~ the first day I put David in his new bed for a nap, I knew I would need to be awake and near to monitor his behavior :) so I decided to undertake a project that I've been looking forward to for a long time--unpacking my boxes of maternity clothing and organizing my closet and dresser to accommodate the maternity clothes...I LOVE projects like that...and I love maternity clothes :)

2 comments:

New Mom said...

The boys look so cute in their swimsuits! And I know exactly what you mean about the koala bear thing. The little girl I babysit and Elon do the same thing to me!

You should post some pix of the boys room before and after if you have any. I'd love to see what you've done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Davene,
Your kids are growing fast and I am so amazed at how much they can do now. David and Josiah are handsome little guys and wonderful little blessings!