Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What a Challenge!

A devotional I read recently in Prayers & Promises for Mothers included this verse: I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. (Psalm 101:2)

I could hardly believe my eyes. Who can say they'll behave in a perfect way or walk in their house with a perfect heart??? Some days I sin before I even get out of bed in the morning! I was not feeling very hopeful at all about this verse.

It was very interesting to go to this site and look up this verse in different translations. The above version is good ole KJV; and, of course, the verse reads quite differently in other versions. Some samples...

I will give heed to the blameless way.
When will You come to me?
I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.
(New American Standard Bible)

Similarly,
I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house with blameless heart.
(New International Version)

Differently,
I'm finding my way down the road of right living,
but how long before you show up?
I'm doing the very best I can,
and I'm doing it at home, where it counts.
(The Message)

In my opinion, it's significantly different to say "I'm doing the very best I can," rather than "I will walk within my house with a perfect heart." I guess the word "perfect" freaks me out. Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself, I know how agonizingly difficult it is to constantly strive for perfection--but constantly be aware of how far from it I fall.

I wonder what the original Hebrew actually says in this verse. Anybody want to take this on as a special project? (Yes, Jeff, that would be you!) :)

No comments: