Friday, April 27, 2007

The Asparagus Gatherers

Our asparagus bed has started producing--which means I'm going to once again try to force myself to like asparagus. When I was a child, we had to eat everything on our plate and had to try a little of everything that was served for dinner--an excellent policy, I firmly believe--but at the time, I wasn't thrilled about it on the nights when asparagus was on the menu! I remember smothering my asparagus in ketchup, then quickly eating it before the taste could really register, then drinking a lot of milk to wash it down.

Now as a (mature!) adult, I realize that it's much better to simply learn to like foods (and that IS possible), especially when they are healthy like asparagus is. So I'm gonna work on it...I really am...although if worse comes to worse the next time I eat asparagus, I'll just pull out a bottle of ketchup and do the smothering trick! I did find a recipe that included asparagus that I really want to try; it seemed like it had enough other tastes in it that it might actually be delicious. :)

Anyway...the boys had a good time tonight picking asparagus with Grandpa. All he had to do was point at it with his cane, and Josiah would pick it and give it to Grandpa. That method saved Grandpa's back a little, gave Josiah a job, and taught him a useful skill. And, of course, David trailed along behind to see what was going on--he doesn't want to miss a thing!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I LOOOOOOOVE asparagus! I have a yummy (to me)"dressing" to make that goes on cooked asparagus. I would LOOOOOOVE an asparagus bed. I'm sure I could have one if I worked at it! (haha)

Davene said...

Maybe you can give me the recipe for your dressing, and then I'll love asparagus, too!!! :) If we have extra asparagus this summer, I'll know who to give it to! Of course, my parents and Jeff all really like it, so I'm the only one who has to force myself to eat it. :)

Anonymous said...

So Davene, I used to smother my Asparagus in Mayo but then my daughter-in-law roasted some for me an it is pretty good. Just spray a little olive oil on the asparagus sprinkle a little salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning on it then roast at 400 until lightly tanned. Maybe we can fix some on the grill some time if I ever can lift the lid.