Friday, April 13, 2007

The Power of Perseverance

I've referred to the book Night Light for Parents by the Dobsons before and have shared a few golden nuggets that I've gleaned from that book. Here are more goodies...

The devotionals this week have been about the power of perseverance, and one of the verses that has encouraged me is Revelation 2:19: I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. So many times I compare myself to others who seem to be doing much more and much better than I am...or I look at the end goal (perfection) and feel overwhelmed by all that stands between my current situation and that goal. But this verse helps me to keep a better perspective...maybe my house isn't perfectly organized, but it's better than it was a year ago (maybe just a little better, but still there's been improvement!)...maybe my children aren't perfectly obedient, but now we do have better spiritual routines with them than we did previously, and that is making a difference little by little...maybe I'm not respectful 100% of the time with my husband, but at least I don't make some of the same mistakes I made as a newlywed (criticizing his driving, for example). In almost any area of life, I can either see all that I'm not accomplishing--or see it from God's merciful perspective of "you're doing more now than you used to."

Dr. Dobson gave two examples that have stuck with me. One is about cockleburs. He writes: Have you ever had the experience of walking through an open field in late summer and feeling the sting of cockleburs in your shoes and around your ankles? These thin, brown weeds are armed with dozens of sharp spines that grab your socks and eventually work their way into the skin. They're terribly annoying. Cockleburs are remarkable in another way, however. Inside their prickly seedpods are not just one, but several seeds, and they germinate in different years. If the first seed fails to sprout one year due to poor conditions, the second is still waiting in the ground. When the next season rolls around, it begins to open and grow. And if that one doesn't take root, there is still a third seed waiting for the year after that....Like a cocklebur seed that lies dormant for a decade or more, the lessons you plant now may one day break through and blossom in the hearts and minds of your children.

And the second example: Elmer Bendiner flew on numerous bombing runs over Germany during World War II. He never forgot one of those missions. Bendiner's B-17 was hit especially hard by enemy antiaircraft guns; eleven shells pierced the fuel tank. If even one of those shells had exploded, the plane would have been blown out of the sky. Incredibly, however, all remained intact. As Bendiner wrote in his book, The Fall of Fortresses, he eventually learned the explanation for this miracle. When demolition experts opened up the shells, they found no explosive charge. All were empty--but one. That shell contained a small note, apparently from a factory munitions worker, written in Czech. Translated, it read: "This is all we can do for you now." Scripture says that God notices our persistent acts of faith...That includes our small efforts as well as the great ones. When you are discouraged by the evils threatening your children and feel that your "insignificant" attempts to shield them make no difference, remember that the Lord is watching--and when it is within the wisdom of His divine plan, He will honor even the smallest endeavor.

No comments: