Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Nine Lives

Let me start by saying I LOVE MY LIFE.

However...

I sometimes think about what I would do if I had nine lives like a cat. :)

Today as I thought about it, I decided to actually write down what I would do in those other lives and see how many choices I really had rolling around in my head. It didn't take long to come up with some options! So, in no particular order, here are some things I would have liked to do with my life, if I didn't already have a life...which I do...so this is kind of a moot point. But just for fun...

1. study to become a nurse, then move to Africa and serve in a desperately poor country where good medical care is incredibly difficult to find

2. pursue a master's degree in music, specifically in accompanying, and see how far I could advance musically in the field of accompanying...ever since my first experience with accompanying when I was a sophomore at EMHS and accompanied the Junior Choir for "This Endris Night" during a Christmas concert, I've been hooked...although I did a fair amount of solo work while getting my degree in music, I've always preferred accompanying...I like to play a supporting role and be an essential, but background, part of making outstanding music, rather than being the one in the spotlight

3. become a doctor in family medicine and take over my dad's medical practice when he retires (if he ever retires!) :)

4. be a flight attendant and travel all over the world...I know it's not always a glamorous life, but even the service part of it appeals to me...from our experience with traveling, I know how much of an impact a kind, friendly person can make to weary, stressed-out travelers; and I like to think I could be that kind of person (maybe I'm wrong; maybe I'd go nuts dealing with grumpy people all the time!)

5. own and run a Bed & Breakfast

6. go back to school and study to become a counselor...in my role as a women's ministry leader/minister's wife (and simply in my role as a friend), I often felt that I should have had more training in the area of psychology and counseling so that I could help women more...so many times, I felt like I didn't know what to say or how to respond to really HELP women who were going through such difficult circumstances and/or dealing with such powerful emotions; and I wish I could gain more knowledge and wisdom in this area

7. be a librarian...everybody who knows me already knows how much I love to read...to be a librarian and combine a love of books with the opportunity to help people would be so wonderful, I think...of course, I might get fired after the first week for reading too much...the first time I tried to put a book back on a shelf, I'd probably end up sitting down on the floor and reading it first...that's what used to happen when I was told to clean my room as a child :)

8. be involved in missionary work overseas, possibly Bible translation through Wycliffe, or service through Mercy Ships, or any number of other good organizations (although Wycliffe is definitely the front-runner since it has ALWAYS been on my mind, from when I was a young child)

Well, that's 8 lives. So what about the 9th one???

That's easy... I would be married to a wonderful man named Jeff, have two incredible sons named Josiah and David, be a stay-at-home mom, and live in Virginia in the house in which I was raised!!! And this--without a doubt--is the very best life of all, better than I could have dreamed or imagined and better than I deserve. Thank God for His grace; it is the root of it all!

No comments: