Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Shame on Me

I blew it today. I had a clear opportunity to be like Jesus--to be Jesus with skin on--to be a good Samaritan...but I passed it by. Or rather I sat quietly in my car hoping the opportunity would quickly pass me by.

It was raining. We were at the bank, and Jeff and Josiah were inside. David and I were in the car waiting for them. A few parking spaces from where we were, there were two young men who, I realized as I kept watching them, were having car problems--apparently, a dead battery. They made several calls on their cell phones, they eventually figured out how to lift the hood of their car, they got out some jumper cables, they stood in the rain and waited, they gestured at several cars going through the lane across from them to come over and help...and meanwhile, I sat and waited with locked doors, thinking that if Jeff returned before they had gotten help, he would be able to help them--in fact, if he was hesitant, I would be zealous in convincing him to help because I'm such a caring person. But I couldn't help them. After all, I don't know how to hook up jumper cables. After all, I had a young child in the car that I needed to protect. After all, I'm a woman and am vulnerable.

Why didn't I just roll down the window and talk with them and offer to move my van so they could use it to jump start their car? Why didn't I inconvenience myself to serve them in such a small way? Why wasn't I like Jesus???

I know the reason. I was blinded by fear and prejudice. I looked at the color of their skin and the bagginess of their clothes, and I decided not to help them. I am so ashamed. I know if it had been a woman, especially a woman of my own skin color, I would not have hesitated to help...and yet I judged those two men simply on external characteristics that don't mean anything. I sat there praying and knowing that God was urging me to act, and I ignored His voice. Shame on me!

Recently, we had problems with the battery in our minivan so I know what it feels like to not have your car start and need a simple jump. I know how miserable it must have been for them to stand in the rain and almost beg passing cars to stop to help them...and watch as they went on by.

You know who finally helped them? A Hispanic man. Through his dark eyes, he sees the world so much differently than me, so much more humbly than me, so much more purely than me.

Oh, God, forgive me; I am so very sorry for my actions today and the horrible heart it revealed. I long to be more like You, to have a heart transplant and live and breathe and move and serve with Your heart and not my own. I need You so desperately...

3 comments:

JFisher777 said...

If it was your sin it was mine. I saw those guys on the way out of the van, I did not at that time see that they had a problem as they were huddling behind their vehicle, but I did have the gumption to ask you to lock the doors. Forget skin color, they were rough looking dudes, and although I think you would of been safe in the middle of court square... I still think it good you locked your doors. What I got in the Spirit was caution.

Julie said...

Davene, if this shows a problem in your heart, then by all means, you should deal with it. However, there is something that you said "if it had been a woman..." These were men. You are a woman alone for a few minutes with small children.Your husband was with you and would be returning to help. I can't imagine Jeff NOT helping, but you were going to implore him to help if he said no. That was your heart.

Meanwhile, another MAN stepped up to help. Jesus would want you to be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove. He would want you to obey your husband's wishes. This would be a good thing for you and Jeff to discuss...when is it appropriate to be a "good Samaritan" and when do you pray for the right person to walk by to help? (Something tells me Jeff is a little more "worldly wise" than you, and it's his job to protect you.) I know that Steve stops to help ANYONE, and if Caleb is with him they do it together, but he does not want me stopping to help strangers by the side of the road if I'm alone.

Again, I wasn't there in your situation, so I don't know the whole of it and the struggle that was going on in your spirit. If you walked into church and chose where to sit based on who was around you or switched lines at the grocery checkout or walked by a mother and child who obviously needed help, to me that would be different. Praise God for your tender heart and desire to love as He loves.

Anonymous said...

Just a word of encouragement...

I Corinthians 4:5-7a

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God.
Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against another.
For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive?

(NKJV)