Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Swinging Good Time

After sudoku, it was time for swinging...and Jeff obliged the boys by giving them plenty of underdogs. It's funny to think about how this old swingset is the same one that we had when I was a kid, and I've spent hours and hours on it. I vividly remember how my brother David and I would get ourselves going pretty high, then jump off the swing while it was still moving. When I got older, I remarked to my mother that I can hardly believe she let us do that--didn't she know we could have easily broken an arm--or leg--or neck??? She replied by saying that as a parent, she felt like she had to say "no" so often that in this case, she wanted to grant us liberty and say "yes." I understand that now, as I feel like some of my days are filled with endless repetitions of "no" and I want to carefully consider more opportunities to say "yes."

1 comment:

Julie said...

Amen to "yes"...your mom is so wise. I agree with this, even though it is DIFFICULT. Saying yes usually means putting aside something that I want to do for the sake of my little ones. But it is a chance to die to self for them.