Friday, April 27, 2007

David on His Family Night

This was David's family night, and it was a nice low-key evening. We had spaghetti for supper, as well as the new favorite of the Fisher boys: jelly bread (homemade grape jelly on a piece of bread). Dessert was jelly beans, left over from Easter--2 for David, and 4 for Josiah. (When deciding how many pieces of food to give to the boys, I often use their ages to figure it out...i.e. 4 baby carrots for Josiah, 2 pieces of dry spaghetti for David, etc.) For the first time, we let David use our special "Celebrate" plate tonight since he's old enough to be trusted to not throw his plate on the floor. :)
Yesterday and today were rainy days (which was wonderful because it will help our new potatoes and my birthday magnolia trees get a good start in life), but the weather cleared up beautifully this afternoon so Jeff and the boys went outside after supper and played while I went with my dad to a nearby farm to get milk. When I returned, I went outside, too, and enjoyed a lazy spring evening with the family. Ah, the simple life--how sweet it is!
I suppose one of these years, I may take all of this for granted: living here, having so much room, being close to family, enjoying the four seasons, etc. But for now, I am continually grateful for it. It reminds me of how, after we finally got a dryer in Israel (after living without one for 2 years), I don't think I ever did laundry without being consciously thankful for that dryer! That's how I feel now about our country life.
One other thing I did tonight during David's family night was to measure him on a Peter Rabbit growth chart we have in our upstairs hall. As best as I could measure him, he was 32 and 1/2 inches tall; that could be a little off because he didn't really like standing there and holding still while I tried to make sure the measurement was accurate. But even if it's a little off, it's close. :)
Here are some pictures of David playing outside this evening...
~ sometimes I still gotta suck my thumb
~ I sure love to go barefoot outside and feel the grass on my feet...cuz I'm a country boy!
~ I can say "ball"!

No comments: